Chapter 2 - Scene 4

With Shaniqua cleaning the bathroom, I found myself standing behind the cash register, staring blankly as if I was in a hypnotic state.

"I'm sooo bored," I whispered to myself. I slipped my cell phone out of my pocket. No messages or notifications. You would think I would at least have a tweet or Facebook comment to reply to. Nothing.

Whenever I was alone at the till I would daydream about the past, specifically my employment experience and high-school days.

"Excuse me," said a motherly voice, grabbing my attention. I raised my head, noticing the first customer of the day—a heavy sixty-five-year-old woman with short brown hair, wearing gray sweats and a white T-shirt. She was a regular at The Protein Hut who spent more time walking to our till than actually walking on a treadmill.

"Good morning, ma'am. How can I help you today?" I said, perking up like a peppy cheerleader. Her eyes were glued on the menu above, but I already knew what she was going to order as it rarely ever changed.

"The usual, a large strawberry mango please." I felt kind of bad. She was very sweet and had been coming to The Protein Hut every day for almost a month and I still didn't know her name.

"Great! Will that be all?"

"Yes, dear."

"Excellent, that will be $3.75. Can I get a name for your cup?" I felt a little embarrassed asking.

"Barbara-Anne," she replied, smiling warmly. "You know, dear, you're a very pretty girl."

"Aww, thank you! I don't get that a lot, actually." I shoved a handful of strawberries and mangos into the nearest blender, and when it was done, I cheerfully handed her the smoothie.

Please don't forget to vote, comment, share :P

P.S. Please add this to your reading list ;)

and Join the Fitness Guild: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361442074272412/