Chapter 18 - Scene 4

After creating room in his busy schedule, Franklin reserved us a table at the smuggest restaurant in Manhattan. Elements of smugness included being e-mailed instructions on how to address your waiter, table rules such as no reading off the menu, and a pronunciation guide of international foods and wines.

To help me prepare, I dragged Vik into my bedroom to make me look elegant. I was going for a cross between Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman and Alexis, a high-class prostitute that hung out in our back alley.

"How does this look?" I said, twirling in my off-the-rack black cocktail dress.

Vik looked with a look of horror. "Honestly, Viola, I don't think formal wear is your thing."

"Hey! I look good in formal wear. All eyes are on me when I wear my monocle and top hat on the subway."

"All I'm saying is that I don't think you will be making any best-dressed lists in that outfit."

Turning around, I modeled for the mirror. "I have potential. Did you know Viola made People's Top Fifty Sexiest Names list?"

"Viola is also the name of a high-end vibrator."

I slid my phone off my dresser. "Ugh... still no call or even text message."

"Relax. Franklin will call you when he's on his way."

I bit my lip and stared at Vik for a few seconds in hopes that he could read my mind. "I'm talking about Christos."

"Christos hasn't replied to any of us. Just forget about him."

I exhaled and sat on the edge of the bed. "I've tried... I can't". I fell back into the bed. "I think I'm in love with him."

"You can't just drop a bombshell like that out of nowhere," said Vik. "You're not Beyoncé."

Covering my face with clammy hands, I asked, "What do I do?"

"Don't marry Franklin, that's what you do."

I removed my hands from my face and turned onto my side. "You don't get what it's like to be a woman. People place this pressure on you to get married, have kids, live happily ever after. And then there is this biological clock that's ticking down. I have to marry Franklin. I mean, who knows if Christos even still feels the same way anymore?"

"Viola, like that hairdo and choice of shoes, you're being ridiculous."

I leaped off the bed. "I'm being serious, Vik. I once thought I was having hot flashes. Thankfully it turned out to be food poisoning."

"Hey, Cinderella," said Shaniqua. "Your Prince Charming just arrived."

"Hey, Shan, how do I look?" I spun around like a princess.

She looked me up and down. "You look like Alexis."

"I'll take it," I said cheerfully and ran out of the room.

Please don't forget to vote, comment, share :P

P.S. Please add this to your reading list ;)

and Join The Fitness Guild: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361442074272412/