Chapter 12: Ledgends O' Witches PT.2

I walked closer to Alistair as we reached the hill where the documents should have been....

"They're gone..."  I told them. There was a broken cache of an antique chest, and dust lying in place. "Nothing."

Seconds later, there was a woman. She was dressed in the color of the woods, and looked that of a raven brought to human life. Her eyes were bright and yellow like the moon of the Kocari wilds, and she brought everyone here to their knees with her mysterious gloom. "She's a Witch of the Wilds I tell ya!"

Daveth started going about on his nonsense. He pointed out the blackhearted kocari tree branch on her back, and the tattered red robes that barely covered her breasts none the less serve as a proper brazier.

"Witch of the wilds?" She laughed as if it was the most hysterical thing. "Well, that I take as a compliment."

"She'll turn us into rodents, toads even!" Jory went on. "Next thing, we end up in a pot of broil."

"Where are the documents?" Alistair called out. "This is grey warden property, therefore you've no right to be here—

"And on who's authority, but, the grey wardens." She looked dreary, and tired of the story. "Ah yes, my mother speaks plenty of you. All mighty wardens, riding on griffins of glory fighting the blight united from all over. Now, a document? Simple task and even that you cannot find."

"She plays coy!"

"Calm down you three! If anything, the real one who'll transmogrify you into toads would be me—

"We–have a witch of our own." 

The three of them cowered behind the little elf. I rolled my eyes as they pushed me forward, towards the center of the ruins to be examined by an apostate.

"You're all cowards...it's just an apostate mage, nothing more nothing less..."

The woman grinned. Her smile was dark and wicked, but in a more mischievous way. Like a fox.

"I like the way your elven mind acts in situations such as these. I've heard you're brilliant, in all fields of magic and what of the ancients?" She peered at me longer. "I'm curious, you're not like the other's. Are you Dalish? No, maybe something more? You intrigue me, for that I should take you to mother."

The three of the wardens exchanged glances of amusement. It washed away their fears and doubts.

"Mother?"

"Oh yes," the girl continued. "For I was not the one who removed him. T'was my mother."

"And we're supposed to believe that?" Alistair was quick to question.

"I can take you to her..." she looked over at me and winked. "You, what is your name?"

"Adelaide Surana of Orlais."

She almost looked pleased. "Now that is a proper greeting; I am Morrigan. Come I shall take you to mother immediately."

A few long steps deeper into the woods, we made it o a small abode in the center of the wilds. It was surrounded by massive bogs of water, and there stood a woman dressed in more feeble rags of any matter. She bore grey messy hair, and looked more...different, than Morrigan. "You brought guests?"

"No, Mother. I brought Grey Wardens looking for their documents which you kept for safe-keeping."

??? The woman looked at me, scrutinizingly. Her eyes turned to slits, yellow...like they could see through me.

"You, what is your origin?"

I choked. "Uh, elf?"

"Very funny...I like that." She laughed. "You are an elf, but you appear like a very wise one. Your name?"

"Adelaide. But, you can call me Adela." I genuflect.

"Mannerism? Your kind are always proper." She smiled. "Here are your documents." She walked up delightfully and gave them to me.

It was a little shameful for me. Considering, my real identity. Not even Alistair knew...nor Duncan...just the tower. "Thank you, so much." She leaned in my ear and whispered. "Ma Serannas." Then pat my shoulder.

It was odd, she'd known. Was it easy to depict for them? Maybe they could sense it specially, no one else could have....strange.
M
"Well be on your way wardens. Conquer the blight."

I couldn't help but feel in that moment, the woman somehow knew more than she led on.

"By the way," she chuckled, "My name is Flemmeth."