Chapter 6: The Circle

It has been a long month here at the circle. All feelings for fighting was long since gone. Though i still kept my sister and father in my heart, i no longer had the strength to seek them out. After a time of reading the book the templar's given me i realized, that my father was actually of the Dalish. He decided to wash away his paint and live a life of realization, but instead got dragged into becoming a servant in place. There he fell in love with a woman who was in secret an apostate mage. She returned the favor, and fell madly for each other. However the son of a Teryn of Orlais set eyes on her. She could not pass this opportunity and bid her last farewell to the man she loved. Somehow fate intertwined the two together again, and he ended up serving the man he would learn to accept and was reunited in a way with his one true heart. They bared a daughter on accident but they were both happy none the less. They named her Adelaide, Adela for short, and she was half human half elf. His plan originally was to bring me back to the dales. Little did they know that she had a stronger link to magic as an elf, from birth, and her sister did not have any-

"A-Adelaide? I-It's m-me? Cullen?"

I close my book fast, then cast a spell to turn it invisible. "Come in, Cullen."

The door shifted slowly but opened surely. There, entered a young boy. His hair was honey blonde and fairly short, and his eyes a light brown dew. The way he stood his ground seemed quite nervous at first, then dissipated.

"I'm here to take you to the First Enchanter." He says.

"Oh okay. Lead the way then, please." I smile at Cullen causing him to blush.

"Umm...r-right this way!" The boy opens the door then walks out after me.

The circle had been very kind to me ever since the day i left. Everything was clear to me now, the path i was to take. It almost felt wondrous leaving everything behind me now. However, there was still a part of me that regretted it. Despite that, i enjoyed it. The only bad parts were the templars, and the fact that i wasn't allowed beyond the walls of the tower. We were secluded for the most part. But i've managed to make due.

"Here we are, have a nice...trip."

Cullen skitters away after his speech leaving me to the enchanter. I wonder what he wants.

Entering the first Enchanter's room, always brought on this ominous feeling.

"First Enchanter! What are you doing?"

Irving held a small gilded black book in his hands. The feeling coming from it was dark indeed.

But the look on the Enchanter's face was more interesting.

"O-Oh, dear."

Enchanter Irving cast the book aside gently, then swiftly used his mana to swoosh it into a secure chest. Whatever had been in that book, was concealed now.

"Umm..." I shrink. "Is everything alright?"

"Of course it is. That was just a book of ancient crafts, that eyes such as yours should not lay upon."

I guess that makes sense

Irving slowly paced his way over to me, holding a cheerful fatherly grin. "Dear, Adelaide." He smiles.

"Yes, Enchanter?"

He gently places his palm against my forehead.

"I called upon you here to say, that fear not. Cullen tells me, you miss the birds. He tells me he hears you quietly weep to yourself at nights of deep rest in your stir. You should be lucky to have one who cares enough to say these things."

I turn pale from surprise and a bit of fear.

"He also tells me, that you feel as if the circle has re made you. Made you, into something more than just yourself. Your status...and blood."

The mention of my status, made my blood curdle.

"But, you are very special in the eyes of the circle. Adelaide, you are of both worlds! The fade, strongly connected indeed. Humans, and elves alike! You should very proud. One day, you'll leave and soar as high as you want, from this home. Just promise, that you won't forget us."

This brought a smile onto my face. If all of this was true, and the first Enchanter did care, then there is nothing to fear. Then i remembered. "Cullen, said all of this?"

"Oh yes, yes indeed. You and Cullen are oh so young. Your childlike minds are practically the same. He thinks of you as a friend, despite not being able to always be in contact with you as...other children."

"Other children.." I had to repeat it softly to myself.

That is what came out; but what he truly meant to say, was normal children.

"I understand, First Enchanter."

Upon approaching the door, I heard heavy breaths on the other side of the thin interior walls.

"Cullen," I questioned, "Is that you?"

It was a bit unsettling at first. But I soon recognized who it belonged to.

"Y-Ye-Yess, it's me. But, don't be alarmed! I was only..."

Irving laughed aloud. It wasn't long before he became more aware of the templars growing little obsession with 'The Little Elf'[me]. I found a dear friend in Cullen, knowing that he lived with his feelings for me, which I did not requite. Being that we were so young, the First Enchanter allowed me to play with Cullen in the Tower along with the Knight Commander Gregor's approval. Overtime I noticed that his presence reminded me of Mella's. Perhaps, that was the reason, why I felt like she was still with me in spirit.

And the First Enchanter, in a way, had become like a Father to me.

I grew up in the circle, alongside the other mages and templars . Over the years, I met another dear companion by the name of Jowan. He was around the same age as the Cullen and me and was also a human mage. My concern, of living in the circle in fear of being discovered followed close in pursuit just as my shadow had ever since then. Though I think only the Knight Commander and Irving knew about my status, considering the rest of the mages had a million inquiries about my joining prior to circle initiation.

My years turned into more-and I learned so much from the Circle of Magi. Honing my magic skillfully, the arcane arts from the history if incantations, spirits in the fade, dreamers, abominations, magisters, and the chantry. With coming of age, ignorance seems to be forgotten. Little had I truly been aware that the tower , which held many wonders and opportunity, served as the greatest oppression.