Chapter 10: Ostagar

~*~ Adelaide ~*~

I cloaked myself in the colors of the night, embracing the frigid air that ran through my veins. "Are you alright?" Fog released through Duncan's lips. "Yes, I am fine." He walked over to me, placing my hood back on top of my head. "We'll be arriving at day break. You'll have a moment to rest then, Adelaide."' I nod. "Thank you, Duncan." These last couple of hours we were walking through a thick woods. Contemplating on my past, I started to notice a pattern. Disappointment always stains. But, the grey warden has been good to me. I think, I owe him my thanks, for taking such care.

The time of our arrival was just as he said. A campfire kept the tents warm enough. Mabari were held in kennels fast asleep. Not a single soldier in sight yet.

"Where are all the others, Duncan?"

"In the barracks no doubt. The King, has lots of celebrations these nights. Dark spawn have been handled well but-- Let's talk about this at a later date."

"As in, the king of Ferelden?"

"So then that sheltered little circle of yours does get news." He laughed that of a calm elder. Almost, like the First Enchanter.

I was excited. I haven't seen the King of Ferelden in ages, and wanted to get reacquainted so badly. Rushing into bed, my heavy lids made it easier to fall into dream. Trumpets woke me up, unfortunately, which isn't much of a pleasant way to get up. Changing into a much more suitable garment, I opened the tent to be greeted by Duncan once more. We were on our way to meeting the king himself, but I was surprised to see a familiar face. "Duncan!" He smiled, walking over to the two of us before laying his eyes on me. Though we met once before, it seemed as if he remembered me all to well. Like he'd just seen the maker himself, blue eyes sparking in wonder and disbelief. "Adela? Cousin's handmaiden?" "It is good to see you again, milord." I curtsied. "How is Maric?" By mentioning that name, he looked pained. Why?

"He...passed a long time ago. Shortly after mother fell ill, she died. And the hit he took from Aunt Veronice, was the finishing blow. I'm afraid. And what of Mella? Is she fine?" I was tongue tied.

"I'm not sure...my father is with her as we speak. But, I have been separated long since then."

"Separated?"

Duncan stepped in. "Yes, my king. Adelaide Surana was proved to be a Mage by the circle. When the Templars attacked, an unexpected even triggered her to unlocking her full potential. And she was therefore sent here to the grey wardens just yesterday. She's an avid user of the arts, using a unique form of battle magic." He appraised.

"That's wonderful. Well, don't want to keep you here much longer. We're glad to have an extra hand as always, especially a beautiful elf such as yourself. Never forgot that."

I blushed. "Right, I'm sure Anora would love to hear that from you."

He cleared his throat rather bashfully. "You won't tell her. I know you, little elf. Always the safe guard. Now, off you go."

So then Caillan was now King? A step up in the family, then. But it's best, to keep my bloodline a secret to him. Lest he finds out. Duncan was rather surprised of how much I knew about him already. I met several soldiers, including Daveth and Jory. A voice, cynical and too charming, brought me to a Mage and a warrior in splint mail.

Snooping in on their conversation, I recognized the little pig instantly. "Alistair!" I rushed up to him wide toothed. "It's been so long."

"Oh, I remember you. You're the cute little elf I had a crush on when I was a kid."

Again, are all Shemlen men so peculiar? "Comical."

"I heard what happened...so sorry. Little Mella's all by her lonesome now, huh." He shook his head dissatisfied. "Arl Eamon and Teagan were sick."

"So, I've heard." I recalled the letters Cullen would bring forth. "Well, here I am. A Mage. And an elf, at that. Strange combination, never the less I'm glad to be at your side."

"Ah you tease. Keep doin' that, and I might just kiss you. All jokes aside, we should meet back up with Duncan."

"Will do."

Alistair and I walked together with a familiarity about us. It was good being with people i knew. That made everything a lot less scary. We met back with Jory and Daveth, whom were standing by the campfire alongside Duncan. "I see you've met Alistair. And I presume Jory and Daveth." we all nodded. "Good then. Now, I have a very important to administer unto you as grey wardens. There will be a ritual that you have to abide by, but first, we need the required materials. Find the old documents of the Grey Wardens at the old ruin, and attain three vials of Dark Spawn blood. All of those can be found directly within the Kocari wilds." The Kocari wilds? I've heard of such tales from Maric when he was till living. Though, I've never seen Dark Spawn before, i'd imagine them to be rather unholy and gruesome through his tales. If they're anything like the demons in the fade, i should be able to take care none the less. "We understand, Ser."

"Good. Then let's not delay any longer."