Chapter 7: Harrowing

Casting all my mana to my hands, I create a dance of light flinging and piercing through any kind of barrier that the Templar throw at me. Evenly matched at both point, he flung his sword against mine at trying to exceed my force, clashing, leading us both to be at neck.

"Have at thee!" I giggled, receiving a brush smile from the opponent. Twirling about using my feet guidingly, I haste to appear from behind, knocking him at his feet. Now I crouch in front of the bested Templar, who in turn is groaning lost in defeat.

"How was that?" I ask, the wincing knight.

The man arched his upper body up by his hands, yielding his sword and shield back in hoister.

"That was very well Adelaide. I see you've bern mastering your sword dancer technique."

"Well, I did learn from the very best!"

"At that, I guess you did."

I reach out my hand to the slain foe, allowing him the honor of touching the hand that valorly bested him. While pulling him up right on his feet, I watch him brush off the dust from his white shining armor and red velvet sash like belt. The both of us locked grind onto our lips out of endearment, before being heavily interrupted by a loud swing of a door.

"Adela! Adela!" Jowan, the shemlen mage, arrived at the hall, with a bright gleam on his countenance.

He ran looking as if he was holding something of deep importance, but with a gladness to it.

"What was it you wanted, Jowan?" Cullen crossed his arms looking a bit angered by his sudden(abrupt) appearance.

He walked closer, raising up his finger in a hushed manner, then from out of the blue used a lightning spell to reveal a light fire works show in the very room. Each of them in different shapes of birds in flight, the colors of the auroran sky.

"Happy Harrowing!" He announced with glee.

I was  filled with so much joy! Today was in fact the day of my harrowing, I was going to become a full fledged mage, despite my adept abilities in various magic fields. It did take a long while, but nothing I wasn't prepared for.

A calm smile formed from my lips,"That's so thoughtful of you!"

I extended my arms outwards hugging my close friend in a loving embrace.

"It was beautiful. Wasn't it Cullen?" I tilt then turn on my heal towards the Templar.

Cullen glanced at the both of us,eyes seeming to churn. Bearing a mean expression, at that. One that quickly changed, remembering that it was a very special day for me.

He laughed and approached us both with open arms. "Oh, that was great!"

As I looked at all of our faces now, comes the time where I still cannot fathom our growth into adulthood. Cullen's grown a beard, Jowan's hair reached passed his shoulders, my ears have grown longer, what else proof is there? Coming of age is a beautiful thing,  and I've experienced more happy moments as time progressed; beautiful friends, a proper home,  and kind people who are just like me. Besides, oh yeah, MY HARROWING!

"I have a gift for you as well, Adelaide."
Cullen reached into his pocket pulling out a thin silver chain,  that was connected to a beautiful; iridescent,  blue colored pendant made of crystal. At the center engraved was the eye of the chantry,  and the wings of Andraste's wrapped around it at its sides.

"This gift," Cullen would proceed, "Was given to me by one of the sisters  when I first joined the Templars."

"W-what... Cullen if this holds that much sentimental value! I-I can't possibly take–

He shook his head. "No." The temple approached in his greaves, taking me by the hand. With his gauntlet, Cullen turned it over revealing my palm,  in which he took his other in order to place the pendant. "It's yours."

"I-I don't know what to say..."

"Take it. Don't say anything. Me giving you something like this is sign of how much more value you will add to it. "

My cheeks flushed with heat. I quickly place the pendant up to my face decrease the temperature by chilling it. I hadn't felt that before. "I thank you."

From the other corner I saw Jowan hold some other look on his countenance. I wondered what it had been,  as it was some form of him being upset. Cullen took quick notice of it and his grin widened. "I should get back to duty." He would lightly bow his head,  before heading over to the exit.

I gently accept his kind gesture, examining the fine details of the pendant. It was definitely made from ironbark; Dalish craft.

"In case you were wondering, one of the Elven priests here at the tower had given this to me when I was a young lad. It was given to her, by a lover."

By a lover..."And now, you're lending it to me?"

He granted me a beautiful widened smile. Too touched to say anything, I just placed the pendant around my neck. By then Cullen had gone.

Never have I received something so flawless and priceless before. The only things that could even ever amount to something like this were the great jewels of Orlais, most commonly the Orlais estate. How it reminded me so of Mella.

"Adela?" Jowan slowed his way over to me. "You're tearing up, is everything alright?"

Touching my hand to my eyelids, i felt small pouches of water douse my cheeks wet. "I hadn't even noticed." I sniffle. "It's just, that you both are so very kind!" I wipe my tears away with my fingers. "This harrowing will be blessed now, because of you. Two of my dearest friends."

However Jowan's smile soon wavered, once he set eyes back on the door.

"Is there something wrong, Jowan?"

He remained silent. Whatever was bothering him, it was obvious he wanted it kept secret.

"Just- I'm worried about the harrowing is all. I mean, sure you're the strongest mage out of us all but-

He stopped. "....then... "

---

I entered the harrowing chambers. There the three greatest powers of the circle awaited me: Gregoir, Irving, and Uriel.

It all began so fast, the ritual. I cannot even remember when exactly the darkness seeped under the lids of my eyes, however waking up was the worst part. How did, this all happen...