4| Rekindling

"A PRINCESS DOESN'T CRY
BURNING LIKE A FIRE
YOU FEEL IT ALL INSIDE
BUT WIPE YOUR TEARY EYES"

REKINDLING

.   .   .

 After Ryan's breakdown, Leah silently led the girl back to her home. Her shoulders sinking with each sob, leaving the boys behind to think about the shit they had pulled. Leah continued to whisper sweet words to her, hoping to comfort some part of her. But Leah undoubtfully understood what she was going through and she knew it was hell. She hoped those boy had their heads down because she was forcing herself not to turn around and break their noses.

The rest of the pack was back at the Uleys, eating and playing around. Quil and Embry were excited to share this part of their life with her and even more elated to have her back. Life without her was dull and boring, there were only so many mundane things they could do without thinking about how Ryan could turn them into something much more adventurous.

"Shh, they're coming." Jared whispered, elbowing Quil from the couch.

Quil groaned, clutching at his ribcage. "Why do I always get hit?"

"She's going to be a natural, she has enough anger in the world for the rest of us." Embry laughed, jumping from foot to foot with excitement.

They were confused when they saw her state, her face swollen and red. Leah led her up to her room, her shirt soaked. Jacob was worried this would happen, Ryan had always been slightly messed up. She had deep rooted trust issues and that wasn't a secret to anyone. But seeing her in this condition proved that her small reckless trip away hadn't solved anything.

"Ryan, talk to me. Please." Paul begged from the other side of the door. There was silence from the other end, not even a sniffle could be heard. He refused to leave until he got something back from her, he just needed to know she was safe. "I'm sorry about today, let me in." The tan werewolf begged, he knew he could easily break the door down. He just needed to make sure she was okay but he knew that would make everything much worse.

"I'll take over." Sam said, grabbing the handle and shaking it. "It's Sam. Let me in." He said in a delicate tone, Paul never imagined such soft spoken words to leave his Alpha's mouth, his little sister was the only one that made it possible. The door silently popped open, the scent of lavender and roses hitting the two boys. The scent of Ryan Uley was wonderful and amazing, a wave of relief washed through his body.

Sam silently entered her room, her suitcase open on the ground, clothes thrown on the floor. He stopped and picked up the framed picture on her bedside table, Sam, a young boy with his long braided hair, hugging her tightly. She was grinning, showing off her missing tooth. She knocked it out racing some cars from the side of the road.

"You were so sweet when you were little." He whispered, a reminiscent smile on his tan face. He missed those days, he didn't realize how much time could hurt. "I used to help mom sneak tooth fairy money under your pillow. You always tried to share with me. You always said–"

"What's mine is yours." She mumbled with wet tears. "Life must've really fucked me over."

Sam sighed, taking a seat beside the girl hidden in her messy bed. He didn't want her to be upset with him, he had his fair share of being on her bad side. But today, he deserved the anger but what he didn't expect was the anguish. "Today wasn't Paul's fault. I honest-to god- thought you needed a little push, I thought that anger would help you shift. I gave him an order." Sam admitted. "If I would've known you would be this upset, I would never have told him to do it. I'm sorry Ryan, I wasn't thinking."