A Promise

Forty years ago....

John, along with Fred and a young teenage girl are making their way through the harsh cold Alaska. Rumors had that there was a place where the DIE virus didn't spread and most survivors were gathering there for upcoming tragedy. They reach a dead end cliff with hundreds meter drop. John is slowly crawl towards the edge and tries to take a look down below.

"Found it!"

Down below is a snow-covered fortress with lights illuminate the surrounding. They decide to rappel down with ropes and hope that they would get a warming welcome. Just before their feet touch the ground, lights are beaming towards them.

"Halt, intruders!"

They raise their hands and slowly descending from the cliff. The guards immediately seize them and bring them to the captivation room. With dozens of people that point their guns at them, intensive stares and one man are approaching them with warm foods.

"Here."

John and Fred are staring at each other with blurry mind.

"Err...thanks?"
"First of all, we want to say sorry about the treatment. Secondly, may I ask why you are here?"
"We heard rumors that this place is safe from the mutants, the virus and mostly the government."
"Yes it is. But your presence shows us that it is not safe from human itself."
"We seek for a place to stay."
"Too bad, we are running low on food and medical supplies."

Without a thought, John offers them his option.

"I will leave if, they stay here."

Fred is surprised by his decision.

"Are you insane, John!? I'm not leaving you alone!"
"I have to, Fred. After all, we need someone to stay with the girl and you are the only one I can trust."
"But John...."
"My decision is final. I will leave now."

They release John and give him his equipment and a few canned foods. He kneels in front of the girl and smile.

"I'll meet you guys soon. Okay? I'll promise."
"I pray that you will find what you are looking for."
"Thank you."

He kisses her forehead and stand up to Fred. He gives one last hug.

"Fred, I want you to promise me one last thing. If I die one day and you found them, please take care of them as one of your own."
"I promise, John. I'm sure that Jake and Lena are still alive..."

And that is the last goodbye from John.

Unbeknownst to them, John died at the hand of the president when he tried to save Jake.

Present day....

Fred is kneeling down his best friend's grave.

"It has been forty years, buddy. Sorry for being too late. You are my only friend and forever are."

And he lays down a roses then he stands up. He gives him one last respect with teary eyes.