Smell the Coffee Sometime, Wright

A month had passed and surprisingly, my studies were utterly serene, thank you very much. I spent most of my time at school with Juliana and Samantha only, just to avoid any school melodrama as much as possible. Though, I could certainly say that my decision worked just fine. Neither Xavier nor Katy made an abrupt interference in my life so far. Occasionally, I would merely run into them and pretend we didn't see each other.

I wasn't actually surprised with the melodramatic threats of Katy Reynolds. I guessed mawkish movies must have etched right in her shallow mind. It didn't bother me that much – not that it actually mattered anyway. Though, I couldn't care less about her beau. It was very unfortunate of him to catch a beautiful fish without much rationality within her. If he truly loved her despite of what she was, then nothing could ever change what his heart wanted. The heart will always want what it wants after all.

Suddenly, I heard a loud sound of clap right in front of me.

I blinked.

"You are deeply lost in trance with that book of yours," Juliana remarked, stifling a chuckle. "And look at your book! How can you even read with it being opened opposite to what it should be?"

I looked at her with confusion and diverted my attention to my book. She was right. I immediately closed it and placed it on the table.

I let out a chuckle. "Well, I guess, I must have completely lost my mind. I'm sleepy though, I should've slept early."

She shook her head. "You and your bibliophilic self; you should be conscious with your health, you know?"

I nodded.

"I will," I said, smiling in assurance. "Thank you for your concern."

She only smiled in return. Samantha wasn't there with us because she was feeling under the weather. The ambience of the place seemed dull – something was rather incomplete. We had just eaten our lunch with an audible, irritating noise from the laughing jocks near our table as a background.

"Gosh," Juliana whispered exasperatingly, "could they just shut the hell up?"

I chuckled. "Well, how about –"

Juliana's eyes widened and cried, "Adie!"

She pointed something behind me and I followed her terrified gaze. Everything turned in a very mawkish slow motion – a ball was about to hit me and as though I lost all my senses, I thought of the initiative. Before I could dodge the unstoppable motion of the ball that was about to hit me on the bloody face, someone came in the abrupt moment, catching the ball on the very last minute.

I let out a sigh of relief.

"Wright!" a red-haired jock hollered, catching my attention. "Sorry!"

I smiled as I nodded in response.

"Are you okay?"

Suddenly, my attention diverted to the person who caught the ball.

It was Xavier.

I tried to hide my surprise. Out of all the students here in this school, he was the destined person to save me from humiliation.

The insensitive guy –

The cause of a heated argument with his girl –

The guy who, once, made me believe in destinies.

Yes, that guy.

I cleared my throat. "Well, I am."

He nodded in response and then he acknowledged his cousin's presence before he walked away.