Foolish Heart

Spending the last day of utter freedom was merely reading books and writing several free-verse poems. Aaron may think reading and writing throughout the summer are quite dull and boring; although those were my tickets to escape reality. He, on the other hand, was oftentimes found going in and out of my father's company; seeming quite exhilarated to work there soon. And I found it tiresome. However, I thought, we were just too excited to do the things we love the most.

As I read the last chapter of the novel I've been reading since morning, I couldn't help but glance at the neat bed. How I miss my bed lately. After I read the book, I decided to sleep on my bed.

The next morning, I woke up, as though it seemed like the usual. But then I paused and then the notion of first day of school hit me. I checked for the time, it was 6:30 AM, and I thought of the class schedule I have which said that classes will start on 7:00 AM. I prepared the uniform mother gave to me last week along with the I.D. and then I took a bathe. After I have done the things I have to do for hygienic purposes, I wore the garments I've prepared. Next, I ran down the stairs and ate the breakfast mother have prepared for me.

"Are you ready?" mother asked.

To enter such place without furthermore knowledge about what may be in there? To experience such new environment that I still have no clue how am I going to react, especially with the school's students?

"I think . . . ."

I think I'll pass.

"Come on, Adelaine." She shook her head in disbelief. "I know you will have the best school year there."

I let out a sigh.

Probably the contradictory of that, I suppose. After I have taken my breakfast, mother offered to give me a ride to school, since Aaron has already left for college and the unfortunate fact that I don't know how to drive. Mother pecked my cheek as a farewell when we've arrived. I bade mother a farewell and I got out of the car.

The first thing I went to was the location of my locker. There was a given number of what locker you'll have and for me, I have the 26th. When I found my locker, I opened it by entering the code they have already set for it.

"Adie?"

There was no doubt anyone but the girl in a floral dress would call me such nickname I never expected to be created by Ms. Juliana Emerald. I let out a sigh in relief and turned around.

"Hi!" she greeted.

"Hello," I greeted in return.

"I'm glad I've found you!" she said. "Fortunately, my locker is just near here."

I nodded as I gave her an unfeigned smile.

"I am so, so glad, I've seen you!" she said.

I let out a chuckle.

Her unwavering cheerfulness was always present, probably, wherever her heart wanted to go.

"Well, I could say the same thing as well," I said.

"What's your schedule for today?" she asked.

I grabbed my schedule from my backpack. Looking at it, I said, "Math, then I'll have English after that I'll have Science as this morning's class schedule. The last subject I have is History."

"Great!" she said with a hint of sarcasm, "Heavy major subjects on the first day of school."

"I don't mind having those subjects today, I would encounter them anyhow," I said. "How about your schedule, what's in store for you today?"