The Reminiscence

Rehearsals for the wedding reception would be next week. I felt utterly confused of both feelings mixing up in my head. I'm undeniably exhilarated by the notion of being able to sing for a wedding; a wedding of a lifetime, a road to forever. However, I felt somewhat uneasy about singing in front of many people. I mean, I've done it before, just once, but there is just a difference about doing it for the second time and its aftermath. What if I mess the wedding up? What if -

"Vionna," a voice called.

Suddenly, someone has finally saved me from drowning in my ocean of thoughts. I looked up to see my brother sitting next to me with a guitar.

"You've been studying a lot lately," he said, "mother's going to think you really are interested about transferring to your new school."

"Why, hello to you, too, brother," I said with a speck of sarcasm.

It is true indeed. For the past week, I've been studying for the entrance exam which is going to be next week, three days before the wedding. However, I felt the notion of messing the wedding up to be overwhelming the worry inside.

"Well," he began, "your amazing brother is going to serenade you with a song I've just learned."

"Okay," I said, sarcastically, also nodding, "you may go on, amazing brother."

He chuckled.

"It's quite funny," he said.

"Why's that?"

"Seeing and hearing you talk like mother seemed to worry me a bit."

I raised a brow. "Sorry, brother, but it didn't crossed in my mind that you actually care a bit."

"However, my dear sis," he said, "I'm going to sing Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran. I hope you'll like it."

A smile lift up the corners of my lips. As my brother started singing, I could not help but be astonished of him. Despite of our parents pushing him to do what they want: study hard, finish with honorable awards, be a businessman like our father, and usual thing they'd say "be honorable, be notable" seemed to be an overwhelming pressure for him and perhaps even for me. I could still see him the way he was before: bubbly, kind, although may be a bit of a bully, irksome, and just him.

So, baby, now
Take me into your loving arms
Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars
Oh, darling, place your head on my beating heart
I'm thinking out loud
But maybe we found love right where we are
Oh, baby, we found love right where we are
And we found love right where we are

After he have just sung, he looked at me expectantly. I couldn't help but smile widely, it was quite good actually.

"Well," I began, "it was good; I loved it, and I'm not saying that just because I'm your sister."

Smiling, he said, "Thanks."

"However," I added, making him scrunched his eyebrows together in confusion, "if you're going to serenade that song to a girl you fancy, I bet she'll be swooning over a puddle of your sweetness."

He bursts into a laughter.

"Geez, Vio, you're just exaggerating." He shakes his head. "I mean, it's when boredom strikes, you tend to do things that would make you feel better despite of the fact that you're isolated in a house full of pressure."

"Now, you're the one exaggerating," I said. "We're very happy to have you here, no pressure intended. However, do you have a book in Physics? A friend of mine borrowed it and forgot to return it back."