twenty six; on my deathbed

⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄

TWENTY SIX; ON MY DEATHBED

     "He's married?"

     "Well, engaged, technically."

     "Which means eventual marriage!" 

     The pair of women, featuring a blonde and a brunette, were stationed outside one of the Jolly Roger's cabins, below the deck. It had been decades since Sage had first stepped foot on a pirate ship and it felt like walking into a graveyard, sensing the ghosts whispering around her. But right now wasn't the moment to be dreading on old memories and false promises ― the entire group, including Sage, needed to be focused on getting back to Storybrooke. The topic of conversation was instead drawn onto Neal and his surprising commitment of love to a unknown women named Tamara. 

     "Keep your voice down!" hissed Emma, who gave a quick glance to the open hatch that led to the main deck, where Henry and his father were currently at. "Yes, it was a surprise and he did kind of spring it on me, but according to him, he's been trying to break the news to me during the entire trip, just never got the opportunity for it. Besides, we dated over a decade ago. It's not like he owes me anything." 

     Sage rolled her eyes and scoffed, "He sent you off to prison when you were seventeen and very pregnant. Then during your entire relationship he lied and didn't tell you he was the son of Rumpelstiltskin or where he actually comes from. Trust me, he owes you a lifetime of favors." A couple of seconds of pure silence passed, before the brunette asked the not necessarily important inquiries. "So this Tamara girl, was she...pretty, or nice at least?"

     Emma shrugged her shoulders, "She was pretty and nice, I guess. I don't know, our introduction was kind of cut short considering Gold was in the apartment, dying! To be honest, she seemed a bit confused about everything."

     "That's understandable. Neal is leaving New York quite abruptly, with no explanation what so ever." continued Sage. "If that was my fiancee, I'd be pretty damn puzzled as well." 

     Their conversation swerved into a completely different direction once both females heard the jumble of ruffled whimpers coming from a nearby cabin. The only person below deck, besides the pair of females, was Rumpelstiltskin, whose wound was not unsurprisingly not progressing. 

     Emma closed her eyes for a second, "This is all just becoming too stressful."

     "Amen to that." mumbled the brunette as she pushed open the door to let in both herself and Emma. Like any other cabin in the ship; the walls made of wooden boards were painted a light green, there were bunk-beds built in with cots, ropes sewn together to create hammocks, and trunks locking inside unknown treasures. One of the wonderful things about pirate ships was that inside, there were thousands of stories to be told. 

     In one of the lower cots lied Gold, who could barely sit up by himself and was pressing a bloody cloth to his open, vigorously painful wound on his chest. Sage watched as he let out exhales of frustration and squirmed in his discomforting bunk bed. "You don't look comfortable." 

     "The poison racing towards my heart will have that effect." snapped Gold, who despite slowly withering away into nothing, but a soulless body, still managed to add a sprinkle of sarcasm into his words.