nine; gold and coins

⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ 

CHAPTER NINE; GOLD AND COINS 

Once Sage had opened the small door to her heart and poured out a bit of her own past, the silence between them reappeared. It was like the air was sucked straight out of her lungs once Sage had to rethink about the years she spent with Jefferson in Wonderland. To make it short and sweet, she was a seventeen year old runaway who was just becoming an armature thief. She was lost, alone in a world where madness and treacherous beasts roamed every inch of the land. Then she met Jefferson, an experienced highwayman who had gone to various lands and had seen marvelous things, explored all new possibilities. He was an experienced man while she was a isolated poor girl. But despite spending many of years together, the love was only one sided until Jeff was trapped in Wonderland by Regina but by then, he was enclosed with his own insanity. It's one thing to love someone who does not love you back, but it's another thing when you still love a madman all those years later.

The pair finally reached the top of the beanstalk, glancing at each other before jumping onto the cobble stone floor. The castle, which was now in rubble and ashes from the aftermath of the war, was obviously made for giants so everything looked humongous to Sage and the pirate. As Sage continued to look around in awe, she noticed a very dried up skeletons scattered about, but she still choked down her nervousness. "What happened here?"

Hook peaked over his shoulder. "It's where the final battle was - give me your hand."

Her brows knitted together as she lifted her left hand, noticing a bloody cut that went up the side of her palm. Once she noticed it, the cut began to sting but Sage found it odd how she never noticed she had hurt her hand before. "No, no. It's fine."

"No, it's not." Hook insisted, sliding closer to the girl as he took note she was stubborn. Sage rose her eyebrows at him, feeling small pings of confusion once she noticed the bits of concern in his eyes for her. "So, what, now you're being a gentleman?"

"Giants can smell blood." He whispered, a small smirk quirking at the end of his lips. "And I'm always a gentleman."

"I can handle one cut, trust me." Sage mumbled with agitation, huffing under her breath at this pirate's persistent. Handling cuts and injuries was something Sage got used to in Wonderland, being a thief and all. Not only was thieving a very risky job, considering people were constantly trying to attach you, but Wonderland was filled with strange monster who tended to be ferocious, monsters that Sage happened to encounter a few times. Three long scars were imprinted on the side of Sage's left shoulder, a vivid reminder of the distant events that happened during Sage's stay.

Sage bit down on her tongue as her eyes watched Hook pop open a cork on the bottle of alcohol and pour the liquid onto her hand. Yelps of afflicted pain came from Sage's mouth, burning tenderness spreading throughout her skin. "What the hell is that?"

"It's rum, a bloody waste of it." Hook eyes her wound carefully before yanking his scarf from his neck and gently wrapping it around her hand. Sage didn't necessarily want to dismiss the captain's for his small act of kindness but one good deed wasn't exactly buying her. She still couldn't trust him, no matter what. "Now here's the plan - we wait for the giant to fall asleep. And when he does, we'll sneak past him into his cave. It's where the treasures are - where the compass lies."

Towards the end of his sentence, Hook had bitten the end of the fabric and looked up at Sage, a suggestive gleam in his eyes. No matter how must distrust Sage had in the pirate, she couldn't deny to herself that he wasn't incredibly handsome and had a charming act to him. But she wasn't the type of person to whimper or fall head over heels for man, let alone a dirty pirate. "And then?"