twenty three; a chase through new york

AUTHOR'S NOTE: If no caught on from the last chapter, Sage is sort of based off of Bambi. I know that is a ridiculous fairytale to base a character off of (considering the fact that Bambi is a deer while Sage is a human being), but the snow scene where Sage's parents abandoned her was suppose to parallel when Bambi's mother got shot. Remember, when Bambi was just like "Mother...Mother!". Yeah, that's what Sage did...sorry for breaking your heart and ruining your day. This chapter was not edited.

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE; A CHASE THROUGH NEW YORK

     "Do any of these names mean anything to you?"

     Three out of the four person group ― Emma, Sage, and Gold ― were all bending their backs as they intensely stared at the doorbell intercom that was attached to the metal gate that was inside a apartment building. They had landed in New York City, specifically Manhattan, early in the morning and almost immediately started their search to find the missing Baelfire. Now that Sage was in the Big Easy and saw how thousands of people lived here, she found the task of searching for Gold's kid to now be extremely difficult.

     Before the curse broke, when Sage was a thieving criminal and working for Rumpelstiltskin, one of her jobs was to find people that either wronged Rumple, stole from him, or didn't hold up their end of a deal. When she did find them, well, that was were the nasty part came into play. There were a few different ways those situations went, but most of them ended with either they keeping up with their deal (after a bit of blackmail and intimidation from Sage), or they would be taken' out (by either Rumple or Sage). But it's been years since she's been the Dark One's employee and as much as it pains her to say, she's a little bit rusty.

     New York City was a whole different ballpark though. It wasn't the Enchanted Forest, where royalty bathed in jewels and knights were galloping around every corner, or Wonderland, where the most absurd creatures roamed about and the strangest people resided, or even Storybrooke, the quaint seaside town in Maine where everybody knew everybody. New York City was bustling with people, foreigners, speedy cars, and buildings that reached the pale sky (they weren't as glamorize or as elegant as castles, but they did make your jaws drop in slight awe).

     And the person they were searching for― Baelfire ― was't some low-life who stupidly made a deal with the nefarious Dark One. Baelfire was the spawn of Rumpelstiltskin, abandoned and thrown through a mystical portal to a completely new world. Finding him had been Gold's mission for the past two or three centuries. Sage could only imagine how hard it could be; to be thrown into a land without magic and to grow up being surrounded by strangers without any family.

     Gold glanced over at the ten-year-old, who was on the other side of the room and examining the wall with mail shelves, and answered: "Well, names are what I traffic in, but sadly, no."

     Emma suddenly pointed at one of the apartment cards, the only one that had a complex number, but no name, "Here's your boy."

     "Or, it could be vacant." Gold sighed in frustration.

     "You might traffic in names and magic, but I traffic in finding people who don't want to be found ― " The blonde explained, probably reminiscing about her days as a bails-bond person, "― and those sort of folks don't like to advertise their whereabouts."