fourteen; thomas part one

⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄  

CHAPTER FOURTEEN; THOMAS PART ONE

        Taverns were probably the one place Sage could drown her sorrows in without judgement. It was Christmas Eve in Wonderland, a night filled with children's joy, laughter, and family fun. Unfortunately, it was also the night of Sage's birthday. Birthdays were usually celebrated with pleasantness, but not for Sage. For Sage, it was just a painful reminder that twenty-seven years ago, she was abandoned. Her parents apparently didn't care if it was her birthday, or Christmas Eve. They just wanted her gone.

        So, a tavern seemed the most appropriate place for her on this particular day. The tavern was filled with a herd of locals, most people with their families. Sage sat at one of the wooden tables in the corner, sighing while looking down at her half-empty cup of bourbon. While she was thankful for the peaceful silence, every few minutes it was abruptly broken by the loud and somewhat annoying cheering coming from a group of drunks near the bar. Their slurring laughter and yells rang through her ears like an irritating bell. And judging from the mildly annoyed glances thrown at them from the other customers, they weren't enjoying their company either.

        Finally, after almost an entire thirty minutes, Sage patience ran out and she stomped her way over them, forgetting all about her parents. The boys, or rather men, all huddled into one big group, gulping down long swigs of beer and wildly laughing about God knows what. When Sage approached the group, she was quick to speak his distaste for them, her voice louder than there's. "Sorry to crash the fun, boys!" The men's voices died down, all of them turning to face her. "But for some reason I can't seem to enjoy my night when all I hear it a bunch of cackling drunks."

        One of the men, who in particular caught Sage's attention, leaned against the bar, smirking with amusement. He was taller than her by a few inches, with shaggy yet straight dark brown hair and a pair of the most gorgeous bright green eyes she's even seen. "I am so sorry that our fun was being a disruption to your night. Wouldn't want a little thing like you to be displeased."

        Her lips twisted into a tight-lipped, sarcastic smile. "Is this your version of flirting or are you just naturally an arrogant ass."

        He shrugged, smugness gleaming in his eyes. "Depends who you ask."

        The thief simply scoffed, shaking her head while looking at the front door. Despite his vivid charm, Sage was in no mood to have a back-and-forth with some handsome stranger. He wasn't worth her time, at least not tonight. "Forget it." She mumbled, walking away without bothering to even look at him again. As she walked towards the door, pulling her hood over her head, she heard their chatter and alcohol filled laughter continue. She left the tavern only to be greeted by snow lightly falling down.

        White flakes began to cover the muddy grass, creating a beautiful mirage of miracles. Sage furrowed her brows and glanced around, trying to look for her horse that was nowhere to be found. She could have sworn that she left it around here. But, must to her disappointment, it must have scurried off. Shame on her for not tying the stallion up somewhere. Instead of returning back to the warmth of the tavern, Sage walked down a long dirt trail, wrapping the black cloak around her body more promptly. Not even the alcohol seething in her body could take away the lingering pain of her parent's abandonment, or Jefferson's absent. A miracle was something Sage wouldn't mind getting.

        She stopped at a wide, stone bench near a hill that dipped down. She sat and watched black crows erupt from the trees and flee into the blue sky. Despite it being night time, the sky was still painted with a baby blue color.