sixteen; knee deep in insanity

⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄  

CHAPTER SIXTEEN; KNEE DEEP IN INSANITY

Author's Note; there's a flashback scene in here from when Sage was in Wonderland. When it comes to anything Wonderland related, I will be taking stuff from Once Upon A Time in Wonderland, the original animated movie, and the Tim Burton remake. Just letting you guys know.

"It is so great that you are back."

Sage smiled cheerfully as she gently grasped Belle's hand, squeezing tightly. A day has passed since the three women's return from the Enchanted Forest and to say Sage was glad to be home was an understatement. Storybrooke welcomed them back with open arms and were throwing a party in honor of them. But before Sage heads to the party, she payed a visit to Gold, who surprisingly had Belle with him. Belle was once his maid before the curse and were friendly acquaintances with Sage. Her and Sage were probably the only people in this entire town that still saw some good in Gold. Turns out, Belle didn't kill herself back in the Enchanted Forest. During the curse, Regina locked her up in an insane asylum for twenty-eight years. It disgusted Sage to think Belle was locked up for such a long time, all because of Regina. While yes, Regina did save her and the two others yesterday, it didn't erase all the red in her ledger.

Both Belle and Sage sat across from each other in Gold's pawnshop, smiling brightly at one another. "It's great to be back." Belle responded, pushing a strand of her hair behind her ear. She was still a bit overwhelmed by the new world that surrounded her. Storybrooke was polar opposite to her home. In the modern world, there was technology and new fashion and social politics. While Belle did find this world fascinating, it scared her half to death.

"It must have been awful." Sage replied softly, frowning at her friend, "Being locked up in that place for nearly three decades."

Belle reassuringly tightened her hold on Sage's hand, trying to show she was now okay, "I made it through."

A smile twisted on Sage's lips, "You always do."

As the girl's laughter manifested through-out the shop, Gold reappeared from the backroom, walking smoothly towards them with his cane, "As much as I hate to intrude this little conversation, I need a moment alone with Sage. If you don't mind Belle." His voice was gentle and soft, a tone Sage rarely heard him use. 

"Don't at all." Belle blushed, standing up and patting her dress. On her way towards the back of the shop, Sage smirked at the brunette and wore a look that said he's totally head over heels in love with you. Once Belle was gone, Rumpelstiltskin leaned against the counter and looked at Sage without his usual brooding stare, "I believe an apology is in order, Sage. I'm deeply sorry that I tried to kill you and the two others at the well."

Sage held up her hand, stopping the man, "It's fine, Rumple. I know you and I know you had your reasons. Trust me, if I was in your position, I probably do anything in my power to get rid of Cora."

"You were always the one to understand." He softly smiled, before returning to his firm expression. "Emma's informed me about the power that brews inside of her. She says she was able to stop Cora from taking her heart. Is that true?"

The honey haired women rapidly nodded, "Yes, it's true! I saw it with my own eyes."

"I see." He nodded, pausing for a small moment. "Which got me thinking if you had possessed any powers."