"Ready?" he asks, shining the flashlight on my face once again. I bat it away.

"You'll have to get rid of that?" I tell him, motioning to the light in his hand.

"Why?"

"Because," I sigh, disappointed by his lack of smarts right now. "It's like a freaking beacon. Do you want Bruce the Butcher to find us?"

He laughs again, and I lunge forward quickly, startling him with my sudden movement. With my swift ninja skills, I clumsily snatch the flashlight from Seth's hands, nearly dropping it in the process, and flick it off.

"He's coming," I whisper into the dark.

Seth doesn't respond, but I can hear his steady breathing behind me. A moment later, his chest smacks into my back and I stumble forward.

"Sorry," he says, and I have to turn quickly to shush him with a finger to his lips.

"You're horrible at this game," I say as I pivot back around and peer out into the living room.

The coast is clear. There are no looming shadows, or questionable noises coming from any part of the home. I take this as our chance to scamper across the room. I grab Seth's hand, and then without informing him of my plan, I dart out into the open belly of our house with Seth in toe. I hear the air leave his lungs, but aside from that, he remains quiet. I could pat him on the back for his good behavior. There's nothing more annoying than playing a game with someone who's unwilling to cooperate. Seth is definitely willing.

"What's that?" he suddenly asks, stopping me in my pursuit as he spins in a small circle, his eyes scanning his surroundings. "I heard something."

I gasp suddenly, pulling Seth over the side of the couch with me.

"I saw something," I whisper hoarsely. "Over there."

I point towards the hallway to our bedroom and then watch as Seth bravely pushes himself up just enough to peer over the edge of the couch. He searches with wide eyes for a moment and then shakes his head.

"I don't see anything," he tells me, settling down beside me as he rests his back against the sofa. "I'm going to go check it out."

"That's not a good idea," I warn, a genuine feeling of unease skittering into my chest. I'm aware that it's just a game, but the darkness has a way of making everything real. Right now, I'm almost convinced that Bruce the Butcher is actually lurking through our house, ready to hack our bodies up into stew the moment he gets a chance.

"I have to," he says dramatically, turning and pulling me into his warm arms. I hadn't even realized how cold I was until I felt the contrast of his skin against my own. I could almost give up on playing our little game right now in exchange for a few minutes of snuggle time, but I don't.

"If I'm not back in five minutes," he says, taking my face in his hands, "then run."

He puts extra emphasis on the word 'run' as if he's trying his best to make the moment even more creepy than it already is. The sound of loud whispers in a still environment is always creepy, so he definitely succeeds in sending a chill up my spine. Plus, he's a freakishly amazing actor, so it's not hard to imagine that this is real.

I just nod my head at his demand, and then watch as he drops his hands from my face and turns to dash across the room. Just before he can escape my presence, I snag his fingers between my own, forcing him back towards me. His eyes search mine in the faint light of the moon, and just as his forehead crinkles in question, I pull him forward until his lips meet mine.

It's a rushed kiss, but it's passionate nonetheless. I can feel Seth reacting, and I get the sense that he's prepared to ditch the game in exchange for a little more lip-locking, but before either of us can get too swallowed up with desire, I push him away.