13. Alcohol Babble

I'm sincerely tired of car rides. Who knew that sitting and doing nothing could be so taxing? Actually, the real cause of my exhaustion is due to the man sitting beside me. His presence somehow sucks energy from me like a sponge soaking up a spill. Any longer and I'll be a prune before we arrive at our destination. Thankfully, it takes us less than two minutes to get to my parents' house.

Back in the day, we would have just walked, but not now. That would be too much one-on-one time together. The five-hour drive home earlier today was enough to last us ten years. We might never need to interact again.

I glance over at him. His face reveals nothing. He looks relaxed and ready for an evening eating and sipping wine. Why can't I just get a reading on him? One simple reading that would reveal even one thought. He's a freakin' barricade. I can't get through and nothing can get out. He's walling me out... and I hate it.

He puts the car in park after pulling up next to the curb in front of my parents' house, but he doesn't move. Instead, he shifts his body slightly to face me. I quirk my lips to the side, mimicking his actions as I turn to face him. Furrowing my brows, I try to decipher the look on his face. The seconds tick by before he speaks.

"What are we doing?"

Anyone else eavesdropping on the conversation would think the question was innocent. But to me, it was a blow to my stomach. I could feel the impact threatening to release a gasp. Instead, I just shrug with a teasing smile.

"What do you mean?"

He just offers me a knowing look, not willing to elaborate because he knows there's no need to. It's entirely unfair that he's still able to see into my head. He knows me and he's using that to his advantage.

I sigh before responding. "It's been a while since we had dinner with my parents. I figured that if we want to avoid suspicion then we should try to appear normal."

He doesn't respond, so I continue. "Unless you'd rather people know about our failing marriage." He winces slightly at my word choice. "Personally, I don't care anymore, so it's up to you how tonight plays out."

His brows dip slightly. It's the only indication that he's thinking through my words. He still doesn't respond, but after a few silent ticks of my mental clock, he nods and swings his door open. I watch him slam his door shut and walk around the front of his truck before I exit the vehicle.

He's several steps ahead of me, but he stops in front of my parent's front door and waits for me to catch up before knocking. This is him getting into character now, I suppose. We wouldn't want my parents to know the truth about us, now would we? Thankfully, he doesn't go so far as to hold my hand. I'm not sure I'd be able to handle the contact at this point. I'm not the great actor he is, and if he touches me right now, I might explode. Apparently, walking into the house together is enough to prove we're doing fine.

He doesn't wait for anyone to greet us, but just makes his way inside as if it's the most natural thing in the world—which it is. He's family. If he knocked and waited, my parents would be questioning his strange behavior.

"Hello," I holler, gliding through the sitting room with Seth at my heels. We emerge in the kitchen, following the scent of herb-infused roast and sauteed garlic. A rave commences in my mouth, my tongue nearly dancing in anticipation. My dad is no stranger to the kitchen and I've been anxiously awaiting this moment since the last dinner we had together.

"If I'm being honest," I say suddenly, turning to face Seth where he stands, one arm raised to prop himself in the doorframe. "The second reason for wanting to have dinner tonight is all because of this." I do a small circle, taking in a deep breath as I relish the smell of spices tinting the air.