8.4 It's Not A Bad Idea

So, after the dinner outburst, they apparently cast me aside in favour of a kid crying out for attention. Not that Tino was crying for attention in the negative way, but they perceived him behaving as such. The family is steadfast on keeping to the 'vampires are evil and must be destroyed' view anything contrary is blasphemy. While sitting on the toilet, I could hear them not making the situation any better. How was telling Tino his views are wrong and to apologize for saying positive things about vampires the way to settle it?

And then it hit me: Why didn't I try this from the beginning? The moment I arrived I could've hypnotized Mr. Velasquez, erm, Antonio, into believing I wasn't a vampire, but one of them. Sure, vampire hunters had the strength and the senses to match us. What never crossed my mind was whether their minds were as easy to trick as other human beings. It somewhat worked with Tino, but he hadn't awakened as a hunter yet.

After leaving the bathroom, I walked upstairs to where the family was kneeling outside Tino's room and they appeared to be praying. Well, they were holding hands and muttering something in Spanish, but at least the yelling and screaming died down.

"Hi, I don't mean to interrupt or interfere with anything, but I feel I should apologize for something."

The muttering stopped, and they focused their attention on me. "No, you shouldn't," Louisa said. "Our son has this obsession with vampires and it goes against our religious beliefs to take interest in the occult."

Says the family of vampire hunters. I mean, they're practically obsessed with us, but unlike the fanboys and girls who want to become one, they're more obsessed in finding out how to kill one. "He said you invited me because you suspect I'm a vampire. I should tell you the reason I may be one."

"Is there?" Louisa asked as all four of them positioned themselves against a piece of furniture, preparing to use whatever decorative objects in the hallway as a weapon.

At that point it could have gone one of two ways. I hypnotize all of them and they take my word, or they don't fall under my influence and kill me on the spot. Was I prepared to take them on? Yes, but hunters are genetically programmed to keep up with someone like me, so I was also at a disadvantage. Then again, mass hypnosis wasn't my thing and who knew how long they would buy my story. "I'm a vampire hunter and know you are too. My, um, my team has been working on an experimental pheromone that tricks vampires. The thing is, it also tricks hunters too, so we're not ready to share this with others yet."

There was chatter between the four, especially between Antonio and Louisa. After their brief discussion, Antonio asked, "How did you know that we were vampire hunters?"

Because Tino mentioned it to me and Carmen. That answer would get him in bigger trouble if I had blurted it out. As I stuttered, Draven briefly appeared. While floating into my field of vision, he said, "They took down a very powerful clan leader from Mexico named Carlos Santana."

I wanted to say something to him, but it would've made the situation worse. And why was he there after I shooed him away? I figured as much ectobrains never left my side. Returning my attention to the Velasquez, I said, "I've heard the story about how you vanquished Carlos Santana. While I would've turned him in to the authorities for human trafficking, lopping off his head was just as effective." I smiled innocently, hoping that it would reach them, but they chattered some more. I glanced over their heads to check if Draven was still there, but he vanished on me. Since the chatter wasn't going anywhere, I added on, "Look, I used to be defiant too. I have had my sympathies for vampires. The way you're going on about this won't reach him. If you let me—if you let me talk with him, he'll be willing to understand."

The chatter stopped and Antonio finally said, "We'll let you knock sense into him. And you better."

"As long as you listen to what he has to say before you break his spirit even further. He may be young, but he's quite good at karate." I knocked on the door then said, "Tino, it's Lena. I understand what you're going through. Maybe you'll loosen up if you talk to me?"