Chapter Seventeen: Thanksgiving Part Two

Lexa POV:

The sun creeped through the wooden blinds, illuminating the room in a dull autumn glow. I blinked my eyes into focus as I turned to look at the time. 10:48AM. A surprised smile threatened the corners of my lips. I couldn't recall the last time I had slept in so late. I had always been a late sleeper, an early bird. But lately I had found myself able to sleep deeply and peacefully. Perhaps it was something about both Clarke's dorm room bed and home bed being more comfortable than my home, or perhaps, it was Clarke herself.

My smile broke at this thought, rolling over to face the blonde who lay beside me, sprawled out and still well into her deep slumber. Her blonde locks almost seemed to glow in the sunlight, with it messily covering her face as her body tangled like vines with the bed sheets. God I thought What a beautiful mess she is.

It was with this thought that I decided I was bored of being the only one awake, peppering gentle kisses along her exposed neck and collar bone, chuckling as she hummed contently in her sleep.

"Hey" I whispered. Nothing "Clarke?"

I sighed at the total lack of a response. Hesitating before wrapping my arms tightly around her waist, pulling her close into my body and placing ever so slightly firmer kisses along the same area, smirking as she began to stir, rotating her body so we were face to face. Her forehead pressed against mine as she opened those eyes that had me hooked.

"Morning" I chuckled.

"As much as I love waking up to your face, Lex, could I have not woken up to it a little later?" Clarke grumbled, her words barely coherent as she nuzzled into my neck.

"Clarke its nearly eleven, we have shit to do" I argued, fighting off a laugh.

"What shit? It's Thanksgiving and we don't go back to Polis for another two days- shit can wait"

"Clarke we're meeting Thelonious at 3PM and I need to buy clothes and buy a postcard to send to Aden. So get your ass out of bed or I'll be forced to carry you out" I threatened as I climbed out of bed, quickly pulling a burgundy sweatshirt with POLIS UNIVERSITY sprawled across the front over my head, smoothing out the creases in my grey sweatpants.

"Please" Clarke scoffed, eyes closed "You wouldn't dare disturb this sleeping beauty. Besides you're probably not even strong enough to-"

She cut herself off with a squeak as I scooped her up with ease, the sheets trailing down as they remained intertwined with her body.

"You were saying, sleeping beauty?" I retorted smugly, grinning as her arms wrapped around my neck, rolling her eyes in silent defeat- although I could see her suppressing a smile as I carried her out the door and down the large oak wood staircase leading to the ground floor, only placing her back down on her feet once we reached the kitchen where Marcus and Abby sat, reading newspapers over with the silent company of coffee and each other. The way they smiled fondly as I placed down their daughter made me blush and look away. But more importantly, it scared me.

That's when it kicked it, with that damn look they gave me. I was here with Clarke, her mother and the man who had become a second father to her. In their house. This was real. I was meeting her parents and through that, I was committing.

I was falling in love with her. And love only ever seemed to end in one of two ways for everyone I knew: happily-ever-after or a painful, heart-wrenching, soul crushing breakup. I could feel my heart accelerating just at the thought.

I was forgetting what I had lived by for so long, since Costia and even before her. I made the mistaking of forgetting what I had believed in with her, and it only led me to heartache. Love is weakness. It breaks you. Crumbles the walls you worked so hard to break until nothing but ruins remains. Nothing but the memory of their smile, the aftertaste of their lips, the ghost of their touch over the small of your backs.