(Winter) Chapter 47

Start from the beginning

The girls continued their chatter, forgetting to play soccer. It didn't take long before Teacher Kyuru came up and started to scold them.

"I won't be coming to class today, Suzuhana-san. So, please distribute these handouts to your classmates," Teacher Mudo said, looking up at Hinako from his desk and giving the handouts to her. As usual, whenever he smiles, it's like the world becomes bright.

"May I know the reason for your absence, sensei?" Hinako asks, holding the handouts with both of her hands.

"Ah, that?" Teacher Mudo scratches the back of his head, smiling and blushing at the same time. "My wife is at the hospital right now and we're kind of expecting our first baby today. I have to be by her side when that time comes, that's why I need to leave early."

"O-Oh!" Hinako blushes a little, feeling happy for her teacher. "Congratulations, Aiten-sensei! I'm sure that you and your wife's first baby will be healthy and cheerful! I pray for the best!"

"Thank you, Suzuhana-san," Teacher Mudo said. "I also bid you luck on the elections and on the final exams. You don't have to stress yourself out on a lot of things, okay?"

"I understand, sensei. Thank you very much," Hinako said, bowing to her teacher before leaving the faculty room.

Hinako walks along the second floor hallway, towards the stairs that leads to the first floor where her classroom is at. She stops when she saw the blooming cherry blossoms outside, some of the petals flying in the air. She approaches one of the windows and stared at them for a while. They were beautiful.

From the second floor, one can see the spacious field at the back of the school. There were students who just finished their class in PE and are getting ready to go back to their rooms. Hinako saw a familiar person from within that group. Even though he was far away, she'd know him anywhere. He was carrying a few soccer balls on both hands, walking side-by-side with two of his classmates. This surprises Hinako a little but smiles in the end, for she knows that that person truly has a nice heart.

"Once the elections are done, you can resign."

Gil's words of that day resounded inside Hinako's mind. Whenever she remembers it, her heart tightens. She felt a little rejected when Gil said that to her but it still remains a question. Why would she feel so rejected from that statement alone? What did Hinako really want for Gil to say? What did she want in the end?

March 6, 2017 - Afternoon

"All right, everyone. Please, listen up," a teacher with square glasses said, standing in front of the student of Class 2-A. "Since Aiten-sensei is absent for today, you may all consider this as homeroom time."

Sounds erected from one mouth to another. Some felt relieved since no one was going to teach them before the final exams that will start tomorrow; some felt worried, for an important lesson was supposed to be discussed today and that it will be in the exams.

"That is all. Thank you."

The teacher left the classroom. When he wasn't around anymore, soft noises erupted around the room.

"Aiten-sensei is absent? But today is supposed to be the day that he gives us those handouts before the final exams," one girl said.

"Yeah, that's right. I still have trouble reading English and I'm scared that I might fail this subject," One responds.