(Winter) Chapter 42

Original Published Date: April 2017

Edited Date: May 01, 2018

January 15, 2017 - Past Midnight

On Gil's desk, his alarm clock ticks to 1:15 in the morning. His room was a little dim since the only thing that is lighting up the room is his desk lamp. The air conditioner is keeping the room cool at twenty-one degrees Celsius. 

Gil was resting comfortably on his bed until he slowly woke up. His blurry vision starts to clear out and he sees his surroundings again after more than seven hours of resting. He sat up from his bed, slowly pushing the blanket that covered his body. Gil's eyes were fixated on someone who was sleeping soundly on his chair, a blanket covering her body.

"Hinako?"

Gil moves towards the edge of his bed slowly, trying not to wake up the sleeping underclassman of his. Well, underclassman might not be the right word to call the person he has feelings for. He doesn't see Hinako that way anymore, after all. It's more than that and he's glad to have feelings for her.

The golden-headed man sits on his bed with his elbows resting on his legs, looking at the sleeping brown-headed woman with a smile. He feels great for some reason and not just because of the fact that his fever is gone; he feels great to see Hinako with him, who also took care of him while he was down with the high fever. He's grateful for the time and effort Hinako has given for him because he never expected for her to visit his house. Sure, they have mutual feelings and all of that but it's rare for people in a mutual understanding to be able to go as far as that.

For a moment, Gil took his eyes off of Hinako and stood up from his bed. He approaches his desk table and took out something from one of its drawers. It was the picture frame with a picture of Hinako when she was a child, the one that Hinako's grandfather gave to him. Every time he sees the smile of the little Hinako in the picture, he smiles as well. Gil can feel the happiness Hinako had when the picture was taken. He only felt sad when he remembers her sad fate in life - losing both of her parents.

In a way, Gil still felt lucky. Even though he lost his father back in middle school, he has his little brother, Dio, and his mother. He looks up to Teacher Bou as a mother-figure whenever his own mother doesn't look that way. He also developed a friendship with Asuto Juniyushi, whom he considers as his best friend. He has President Itsuka Seifuku and Vice President Asura Souji, his upperclassmen in Kendo, Karuna Keii and Oji Kodaijogi, and Nero Souji from Ahnenerbe. Hinako did have her grandparents but they were never around. He wondered on how it feels to live alone for three years.

"Achoo!"

Gil was startled after hearing someone sneeze. He almost drops the picture frame in the process but he was able to hold it tightly in the end. Gil looks behind him and saw Hinako shift from position to position, trying to get comfortable on the chair she was resting on.

'Idiot, you could have just gone home,' Gil thought, an eye was twitching. 'Or the very least, you could have used the mini couch.'

Gil settles the picture frame on top of his desk and went back to sit on his bed, looking at Hinako again. He looks at her with such focus that he could just stare at her for the whole night (though, that sounds a bit creepy). He won't get tired at all because he loves to see her, awake or asleep.

"Mmm..."

Hinako's eyes squirm, making soft sounds as she dreams of something in her sleep. Gil was preparing himself if ever she woke up.