Chapter Thirty-Six: The Last Straw

I didn't feel like myself when I woke up on Monday morning. I felt different. Bolder.

I felt like I had nothing and everything to lose, all at once. And in a way, I really did.

Today would be my final day before I would leave. Tomorrow I would live with Jasmine Greenwald in Phoenix, unless Will somehow could change my mind. Today was all up to him.

Somehow, knowing that made me feel better. I could do something completely outrageous and leave tomorrow, and no one could do anything about it. Just the thought itself made me feel giddy.

When I went into my closet, I looked around at the expensive clothes that the Mason's had purchased. None of them appealed to me. No, today I was going to be the girl that no one in Curmouth knew. I was going to be the Kendall Hanks who didn't give a damn about what anyone thought of her.

I searched through my closet before I finally came across what I was looking for; my old, worn jeans that I had been wearing on the first day that I moved to Curmouth. The denim was a little washed out, and there were holes in the knees, but it was exactly what I needed to wear.

Then I picked out a plain black tee that was a little more lowcut than what I usually wore and slipped my feet into my favorite grey Converse. I left my hair in its natural half-straight, half-wavy state, not bothering to style it.

I looked in the mirror, studying my complexion. My determined hazel eyes stared back at me. I looked like myself, even if I didn't feel like it. No makeup, no hairstyle, raggedy jeans, and a determined mindset.

Today I would confront Will. Tomorrow I would leave.

With a deep breath, I stalked out of my room with my head held high. I slid down the banister of the long staircase, then I walked over to the car garage where I got into the Mercedes that I had been driving.

When I got to school, the parking lot was barely half-filled. I was early. I surveyed the campus. Only a few students were already on the grounds.

I got out of the Mercedes and walked past the parking space where Amber Tate and I had our fight. I passed the tree in the courtyard where Jack and I used to eat lunch. In the distance, behind the Language Arts building, I could even see the CHS Football Stadium where Will and I went when we ditched class.

This place was filled with memories of my life in Curmouth, some good and some bad. Either way, I was going to leave it all behind.

I steadily made my way to the front office, where I found Mrs. Gardener who had welcomed me to Curmouth on my first day. She looked up at me through her purple reading glasses, her lips pursing in surprise.

"Kendall? You're here early. Is there something I can help you with?", She asked me, her lips spreading into a huge, scary smile.

"Actually, yes. I just wanted to transfer my credits. I'm going to be switching schools.", I told her, twisting my hands nervously.

She frowned. "I'm sorry to hear that. Curmouth High is going to miss you."

I shook my head, letting out a little laugh. "No, I don't think they will."

"Nonsense!", She exclaimed, waving her hands in the air, her creepily large smile appearing again.

I laughed again. Mrs. Gardener was a bit crazy, but she was kinder than anyone else in Curmouth.

"When will you be leaving?", She asked me while she pulled up my files on her computer.

"I think this is going to be my last day.", I replied casually.