Chapter Two: Meeting the Masons

I was so nervous that my hands were shaking uncontrollably. Within two hours my plane would arrive in Curmouth, California, and I would meet my new family. I would be given my second chance.

I'd been trying to ignore the anxiety in my chest, but I couldn't hold it in anymore. I was terrified.

It always seemed like I mess up everything. Orphaned by age sixteen, bullied at school, lifetime supply of bad luck. Not one thing had ever gone well in life, so certainly this wouldn't either, right?

The only support I ever had since the accident was Gram. And now she's gone too and I'm on my own again.

But I was going to make this work. I had to.

From what Sasha had told me at the Foster Center, the Masons were, indeed, dirty rich. Mr. Mason was the Mayor of Curmouth, had stocks in companies like Apple, and was a very successful business man and politician.

And, to state the obvious, Mrs. Mason was his trophy wife. She was probably the type of woman who drinks white wine and gardens. But I shouldn't judge. They could be lovely people, even if they look like snobs in the photos.

Both the twins and the boy were Juniors like myself, which could be either good or bad. If they end up being nice then I might have at least a few automatic friends. But if they end up being jerks then I'll probably be terrorized till I graduate.

Sasha had mentioned that I would be attending Curmouth High School, which I hoped to God was better than the hell I called East Denver High School.

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the pilot on the loud speaker. "Ladies and gentlemen, please fasten your seat belts, we will be landing shortly."

I let out a loud breath, earning a few dirty looks from nearby passengers. I quickly looked away, hiding my blushing face behind my hair. I still found it hard to believe that I was doing this.

My stomach dropped as the airplane zoomed to a stop at the Curmouth International Airport. This was my first time on an airplane, and it was definitely different. It was like riding a roller coaster: nauseating to some and fun to others. Depends on how you take it. Personally, the sensation of my stomach falling out of my body only made me want to puke even more than I already did.

Once the plane was safely stopped, I grabbed my carry on suitcase out of the compartment above the seats. The carry on was my only bag other than the plain black backpack that was slung around my shoulders. I didn't have much to pack. Just some clothes, pictures of my old family, and my treasured journals. Sasha assured me that I would get new books, clothes, and toiletries when I arrived, so I had packed light.

I made my way through the airport, following the signs that led to the taxis and shuttle buses. I looked around the busy concrete jungle nervously. Sasha said that there would be someone there to pick me up and take me to the Masons house.

I bit my lip nervously. Maybe it would be one of the Masons.

That was clearly not the case. Over by the bus stop was a short old man in a tuxedo and a cap holding a sign that read, Kendall Hanks, in big bold letters. He was my ride.

Taking a deep breath, I walked over to the man, mentally preparing what I would say. I was usually pretty awful with first impressions, so perhaps it was already a lost cause. Either way, I had to try.

"Hello. I'm, uh, Kendall Hanks." I announced to him with a sheepish smile.

The old man looked up at me, his wrinkled face smiling. I could tell right away that he was a kind old man. One that probably had an abundance of grandchildren that he cherished.