Chapter Four: Curmouth High School

I sat in complete and utter shock, gaping at the door. That did not just happen. There was absolutely no way that my new foster sisters just exiled me from their life. 

But it did happen. And I felt a bit heartbroken.

I had dealt with mean girls before. Actually, I had been bullied at my old school, East Denver High. But it felt so different this time.

Those two girls were supposed to be family. They were supposed to be my sisters.

Sure I had only really met them today, but still, I had hoped they wouldn't hate my guts. I had hoped we could be friends. 

But that was clearly not going to happen.

I bit my lip. I just had to try harder.

I had to give this new family my all if I wanted a second chance at a good life. I only needed to make it work for two years. Until I went off to high school. I was going to make this work. 

Maybe then, just maybe, I could have my happy ending.

<<<>>><<<>>><<<>>>

One month later: The First Day of Junior Year of High School

"Miss Kendall. It's time for you to wake up.", Ms. Jameson said in a singsong voice on an annoyingly early Monday morning.

I groaned, rolling over onto my side. I was on the verge of falling asleep again when she pushed open the curtains, blinding me with the sunlight.

"Miss Kendall. Today is your first day at Curmouth High School. You must wake up." She insisted.

Although I wanted nothing more then to sleep till the next Ice Age, I still forced myself out of bed. I didn't want to give Ms. Jameson anymore trouble then I already had.

"There's breakfast downstairs.", She announced with a smile before disappearing out my door. She probably had to wake up Hannah. She was nearly as deep of a sleeper as I was.

The only thing that could probably lure me out of bed is food. And waffles were just the trick.

Do it for the food, Kendall.

I trudged into my gigantic closet to get dressed. I had picked out my clothes the day before: a pair of dark wash skinny jeans and a light blue sleeveless top. It was socially acceptable enough that I could probably scrape by without any dirty looks. For shoes I was wearing my favorite gray converses, which was really the only thing I ever wore on my feet.

My hair was already straight so I just brushed it so that it was sleek and shiny. I only put on some mascara, which was about as much effort as I could put into makeup. I was definitely not a beauty guru but I still looked decent. Better then most days.

I smiled. Finally, it was time for breakfast.

I bounced down the stairs and into the Dining Hall where John was already dressed and eating a plate of bacon and eggs.

"Hey John. Good morning." I said, taking my seat across from him.

"Morning Kendall." He replied, his mouth half-full with food.

I laughed, shaking my head at him. We had grown pretty close over the past month that I had arrived. In fact, he was really the only friend I had made since I had arrived in Curmouth.

Ms. Jameson placed a plate of waffles and bacon in front of me, causing me to grin.

"Thank you." I told Ms. Jameson, inhaling the delicious aroma. This was worth waking up.