Chapter Twenty-Three: The Drug Lord

"Oh my god.", I whispered, staring at the back of Hannah's head.

Hannah looked up instantly once she heard my voice. I was taken aback by her appearance. Her face was red with tears and her once beautifully styled hair was hanging limply in strands. Her eyes didn't not hold her usual glare, but were looking up at me with a sad vulnerability.

"Please. Don't tell.", Hannah spoke, her voice sounding fragile, on the point of cracking.

I rushed toward Hannah and enveloped her in a hug. "I won't, I won't.", I said softly as I held her.

Hannah began to cry quiet tears. The salty drips flowed down her face silently and she began to quake.

'Oh, Hannah. Why did you do this to yourself. You are much too strong to fall at the hands of someone as ignorant as Georgette and Nelson.', I thought to myself as I held her tightly.

It was such a strange thing to see Hannah so weak. It was crazy to look into her eyes and not see a hateful glare, but the watery reflection of a broken girl. And despite all the pain she had caused me, and all the hate she had bestowed upon me, I forgave her instantly when I saw her eyes. Because I knew that Hannah was struggling with a problem of her own, and she saw me as something to be compared to. And she thought that I was better in some way, so she put me down, and in private, she put herself down too. I knew, all too well, that she was hurting, and when someone is hurt, you don't cause them more pain. You help them heal. So, that is what I did.

I held Hannah until she ran out of tears and sobs, and together we sat on the bathroom tiles, still dressed in our crinkled gowns. Then Hannah spoke something I thought I would never hear in a million years.

"I'm sorry."

"I know. It's okay.", I replied in a hushed voice.

"I'm still really sorry, Kendall.", She replied.

"It will get better.", I promised her.

"Thank you. For still staying even after I was rude to you."

I smiled softly, "You're welcome."

Hannah offered me a weak smile and stood up, off the floor. I stood with her. "Why don't you take a nap? I'll clean this up.", I said, guiding her to her bed.

Hannah nodded and laid down on her bed, nestling into her soft sheets. I returned to the bathroom to clean up the mess.

I flushed the toilet, watching the vomit disappear down the drain. Then I threw away the toothbrush and began to clean up all the dirty tissues from the floor. Once the bathroom looked suitable, I decided that it was time to return to the ballroom, so I could finish the night.

I walked past Hannah's bed, where she was sleeping, turned off the lights, and walked into the corridor to return to the ballroom. Other that a few tear stains and a bit of wrinkles on my dress, I still looked presentable.

When I returned to the ballroom, I was just in time to hear the closing speech of the entire event. Everyone was gathered underneath the balcony, where Mr. Mason had said his speech earlier that night.

"I'd like to thank everyone for coming tonight.", He began. I kind of tuned out of the speech after the first sentence. My eye had caught something in the distance.

It was Will's father, Arthur. He looked around, as if he were making sure that no one was following him. Then he disappeared out the door that led to the courtyard. Feeling a deep sense of curiosity, I skirted around the groups of people that were listening to Mr. Mason speak, and headed out the door after Mr. Farnsworth.