Chapter Twenty-Seven: Auditions and Phone Calls

The rest of the week was agonizing and slow. Will didn't show up all week long, which only heightened my concern. Jack and I practiced our duet daily, which offered me some relief from worrying about Will, but for the most part, there was no way to make me forget that Will had simply disappeared into thin air. As much as I didn't want to admit it, Will had a spot in the small circle of people I really cared about.

By the time Friday rolled around, I had given up on trying to reach out to Will. I had called him countless times and left an abundance of unanswered text messages. I had even thought about driving to his house to check and see if he was okay, but ultimately I decided not to, seeing as I had no idea where he lived in the first place. I was so worried, that even Jack began to notice.

"Kendall? Is everything okay?", Jack asked on Friday afternoon, as we sat in the courtyard together, our lunches laid out on the grass in front of us.

I looked up at Jack, who was wearing a concerned look on his face. He was concerned about me, but I was concerned about Will. Is that wrong?

"I'm fine.", I replied in the cheeriest voice I could muster, which ended up sounding terribly bland. I attempted a reassuring smile, but it turned out to be more of a grimace than anything.

"Kendall, seriously, you can tell me. Are you worried about auditions?", He questioned, searching my eyes for answers.

I sighed. I liked Jack. I really did. I didn't want him to feel like I wasn't interested in him, because I was. If I told him about Will, that would send him mixed signals, and I knew how much that sucked.

"Yeah. I don't want to mess up at auditions.", I lied.

Jack nodded understandingly. "Don't be worried. You've got it down. Remember the last time we practiced? You sang the song so perfectly that you could pass off as the female version of Justin Timberlake.", He said encouragingly.

I smiled at him. This time, a real smile. "Thanks, Jack."

"No problem.", He replied easily, his kind blue eyes watching me with a smile.

The lunch bell rang, signaling that it was time to get back to class.

"I'll see you in choir.", I told Jack, quickly repacking the remainder of my lunch into my lunchbag.

"I'll meet you at your locker after your last class.", He told me, hoisting his backpack onto his shoulders.

I nodded in reply. He was such a gentleman. Jack was the type of guy who holds open the door for complete strangers and texts you, just to make sure you got home safe. He was sweet, caring, the whole thing. A 'packaged deal' as my mother used to say.

"And don't be nervous, Ken. We're going to kill it at those auditions.", Jack reminded me, before walking toward his next class.

"I really hope so.", I whispered, staring at his retreating figure.

<<<>>><<<>>><<<>>>

After choir practice ended, Jack and I headed to the auditorium together. We took our seats, five rows from the front.

"You ready?", Jack asked me, setting his guitar by his feet.

I looked at him, his blue eyes calming my churning stomach. "As ready as I'll ever be.", I replied.

He gave me an encouraging smile. "You'll do great.", He assured me. I just nodded in reply.

Although I wasn't nervous earlier, actually sitting in the auditorium made things surreal, and slightly nauseating. I didn't have extreme stage fright, but I had to admit, I was a little scared.