Chapter 13

I stared at myself in the hotel mirror. I looked like I belonged on a runway instead of walking down an elegant staircase. I know Dad chalked this all up to being an engagement party for Emily and Nick, but it was really to introduce me back into the world. I had a plan for what I was going to do, and I knew it would kill dad, but it needed to happen. I was going to get my GED and travel the world. I was going to help those in need wherever I could. I couldn't stay in New York knowing that Seth was four hours away. I couldn't stay knowing that he could move on without a care. Especially since the divorce was officially finalized.

Emily came to stand beside me, dressed in an elegant A-line dress, with the back of the dress completely open. "Ready, gorgeous?" She asked, playing with the tulle of my skirt. She and Teddy insisted that I wear a ball gown, crème colored and lacey. I looked like a princess while my best friend looked like an elegant woman.

"Yeah, are you? It's your engagement ball!" I exclaimed, grabbing her hand. She smiled and kissed my cheek lightly.

"Bailey, I love you." She whispered as Nick entered the room with Joe.

"Are my lovely ladies ready?" He asked, kissing my cheek before kissing his fiancée. Joe came over and took my hand, giving me a slight smile.

"You look beautiful, Bailey." He admitted softly. I smiled and kissed his cheek. "You clean up well, Joe." I murmured.

"Come on, mom and dad are waiting for us." Nick said as he and Emily left the room. Joe and I walked out of the room in a comfortable silence, and I was able to truly appreciate him for the first time in a long time.

"Thank you, Joe, for being my escort. And my friend these past few months. I think you're the reason I've been able to move on." I said as we followed the happy couple to the elevator.

"Are you sure about that, Bailey?" He asked, running his thumb over my wedding rings. We entered the elevator and I closed my eyes. I wasn't so sure that I had moved on, but I needed to, regardless of what I felt.

"May I reserve a dance with my favorite little sister?" Nick asked, turning towards me. I rolled my eyes at him but nodded.

"I'm your only little sister, dork. And I think you're going to have to beat all of our brothers and dad for a dance." I said, poking him in the side.

"Can I have a dance with my best friend?" Emily asked, reaching for my hand. I grabbed her hand and gave it a hard squeeze. "Of course, Em." I whispered as the elevator stopped on our floor. We left the elevator and walked into the massive ballroom of the Plaza Hotel. Everything was so elegant and classy for a couple that was very unorthodox and colorful. I felt like I was at a wedding reception for the president's daughter or something. Joe squeezed my hand as we entered the ballroom. I smiled as everyone clapped for the happy couple, and laughed when Emily blushed.

"What's so funny?" Joe murmured in my ear as we entered the ballroom. "Your sister. After all these years, she still hates being in the limelight." I said to Joe. He chuckled as well, giving my hand a squeeze. Joe led me to the bridal party table, which was at the front of the room. I sat next to Emily, where she was glowing and chattering away with some of her cousins and Nick's groom's men. Emily took my hand under the table and gave it a squeeze. I felt so out of place, especially with everything in the news lately. The news of my father's divorce came to light, as well as my own health issue. They couldn't seem to give a damn about what was actually going on in the world. They couldn't give a damn unless it was a scandal.

"May I have this dance?" Noah asked, pulling me from my thoughts. I stood and smiled, walking around the table and took his hand. "You look like a princess."