Chapter 12

Seth Matthews

The front door slammed open and it sounded like a heard of elephants coming through my apartment. And yet, I just didn't care.

She signed the divorce papers.

I thought I would be happy. But instead I was sad and empty. And my best friend was a bottle of Jack Daniels.

"Get up!" Noah shouted, making as much noise as he could. "You have a guest, asshole. GET UP!"

"Go away, Noah." I slurred. I groaned as he threw open the curtains of my apartment. I grabbed the pillow closest to me and threw it over my eyes. "Are you trying to kill me?"

"Get up, there's someone who wants to speak with you." Noah said, picking up the bottles on my coffee table.

"I am not speaking to your brother until he's showered and sobered up." A feminine voice said. She sounded so much like Bailey, yet older and more tired.

"I understand. There should be coffee in the kitchen, if you want to make yourself comfortable." Noah said, helping to lift me up. "Come on, time to shower."

"Was that Bailey?" I slurred, leaning on Noah. "I don't want her to see me like this."

"No, that was not Bailey. That's her sister, Theodora." Noah said, kicking open the bathroom door. "Now, I'll stay in here to make sure you don't hit your head, but I will not help you shower. We may be brothers, but I am not ever going to see you naked." I grumbled as I stripped down and got into the shower. I stood there, for such a long time and I could not bring myself to think of anything but Bailey. I missed her. I missed her voice just moments after I left her. She called me all of two times before she stopped communication all together. That's about the same time the rest of my family stopped talking to me. I knew they visited her often.

"You done yet? Theodora has plans for us, fool." Noah snapped, kicking the shower curtain.

"I'm fine. Give me a second, will you?" I snapped back, peaking my head outside of the curtain. "I'll be out and dressed in five minutes. Please, Noah."

"Five minutes." Noah repeated before leaving the room. I stood under the hot water for another minute before getting out and wrapping a towel around my waist. I slipped into my room and grabbed my phone off of my night stand.

I needed to call her. I pressed her name in my phone and it began to ring, my chest tightened when it went to voicemail.

"Bailey," I croaked after the beep. "Please pick up. I need to talk to you." I unwillingly hit the end button on my phone and threw it on my bed. I missed my fucking wife. I thought I was making the right decision by leaving her, forcing her to go back to her family. She never would have seen them again if it weren't for me.

I dressed and entered my living room quietly. Theodora and Noah were chatting, like they had known each other for life times. I never noticed how much Bailey looked like her sister, it was startling to me. Theodora, I think, glared at me as I sat across from the two.

"So, this is what Bailey has been heartbroken over?" She sneered, looking back at Noah.

"I'll admit, he was much better looking a few months ago. He's been distraught without her." Noah said. "You look gross, bro."

"How is she?" I asked, practically begging Theodora. "Is she happy? Safe?"

"She's fine, no thanks to you." She growled, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Teddy, he deserves to know." Noah said, touching her knee. Theodora shook her head, moving to stand.

"Why? He left my sister. He never made a conscious choice to contact her. He left her heartbroken and depressed. He doesn't deserve to know, Noah." Theodora growled. Noah grabbed her arm and pulled her back onto the sofa.