Chapter Twelve ✓

~Hailey~

It's hasn't been the nicest of days recently. All I could do was avoid Kevin. He's been texting me more often but I reply after every 5 texts or so. I need to keep that space between him and I. Whatever that dream was, I want it to stay behind. And I don't care if I stood him up, I wasn't up for it. I didn't want to leave Jake. He was there for me when Kevin never was.

"Hey, you okay?" Jake holds me closer to him as we cuddle on the couch. I almost spaced out on our movie night.

We're watching "Aftershock" and we would laugh and argue on how the science behind it is wrong or right. Yes, call us nerds, but that's kind of what brings us together.

"Yeah, just thinking about how Kevin's been blowing up my phone lately," this earns a sigh from me and a kiss on the forehead.

"Do you want me to message or call him? I'll tell him to back off. You're just feeling pressure and guilt from just leaving him for hours," he tries to reassure my safety. 

"I can manage, but thank you."

"Are you sure?" All I could reply was a nod. We finish a couple more movies and ate more popcorn until we fell asleep on the couch, but who gives a damn when me and Jake are enjoying.

I wake up soon after and see that Jake wasn't beside me anymore. I hear muttering and incoherent cussing in the kitchen, curiosity gets the best of me and I eavesdrop.

"That was just a one time thing! I was drunk and frustrated. I shouldn't have let you get into my head." He pauses for a moment and rubs his temples in frustration. "Forget about last weekend. Nothing happened. Quit trying to-"

A few minutes later, she must've said something to convince him. "Fine, but that was when we were in college, I found someone better. Yes, I admit that I may have lingering feelings but that's nothing compared to what I have with my wife," he takes a deep breath. 

I hear a muffled cry from the phone. "That night you told me you liked my body because you could never touch your wife."

"Okay okay, don't cry, I'll meet you again this weekend. Can we do it sober so I'll know when to stop and so I'm sure you won't baby trap me? I really don't want another abortion."

Tears prick my eyes and I was frozen on my spot. I would get caught if I didn't move. He was coming and I was glad that my senses came to life and I was able to make a dash to the bedroom. I locked myself in and cried my eyes out as I grabbed a few of my stuff.

I called my mom to tell her that I'll be staying over for a few days.

You want to know what I realized? People are not what they seem. They're liars deep within. Like King Mongkut from "The King and I" said, "Women are just flowers and Men are bees, that go from flower to flower"

To men, women are nothing but tools and since I haven't really done it with Jake, he must've been itching for it. I don't really want to know who she is but the can go hog each other like the pigs they are. I don't care if he defended me at some point in their conversation but he gave in and would meet her again.

I open the door and brought the bag of clothes, good enough for a week or two. I held my phone tight as I tried to leave the house without Jake knowing. But as evil as the world is, That can't happen. Jake sees me as he had just walked out of the washroom.

"Hailey? Where are you going?" He looks into my eyes searching for an answer. "Did something happen?"

"I think you already know the answer to that," I snapped at him. Before he could speak, I continued. "Go to your ex, you're dick is itching to thrust itself somewhere, right? Don't bother looking for me, if you truly loved me, that woman wouldn't have been in your life if she was such a temptation. Please just give me space."

I regret nothing that I said. I had my rights and my heart does not deserve to be tampered with. I left my bag in my room, in my parents house. Yes, I did buy it for them and it still look simple but elegant. I suddenly hear my phone ring and I looked at the caller. Kevin?

It was the first time that I actually wanted a call from him. I don't know why, I wanted him to be there, not Jake. I answer the call. 

"Kevin?"

"I was going to invite you out."

"Okay," I reply with nostalgia of my dream. Talk about Déjà vu.

"I'll come pick you up at your house?"

"No, I'm at my parent's house, I'll text you the address."

"Okay, I'll be there soon."

If Jake had his fun with his ex, maybe so should I. Just not a sexual fun. The fun that involves laughing and running and, being free.

~End~