Chapter Seven ✓

~Hailey~

I opened the door to the house and sighed.

"How was it?" I jumped when Jake suddenly spoke.

"It was frustrating," I sighed. He hugs me in effort to calm me down.

"And?"

"He wanted to be more than friends or something. I'm married and the asshole is engaged and he has the nerve to-"

"Hey hey, let's take a break and breathe for a moment, okay?" he gave me a warm and gentle smile as he sits me down on the couch. He kisses my head before pulling me into a hug. 

My phone suddenly gets a notification from him again. I was about to block his number when my husband stops me and reads the message instead. 

"I think you should go and give him this last chance he thinks he has. He'll see that you clearly have no intention of moving forward with anything and you can just call me to pick you up if you really don't want to," he suggests. 

"He'll only humiliate himself out there," I scoffed. 

"That's the point, just don't be too hard on him, let's be the bigger people here, right?"

"But I wanted to give him a hard time," I groaned. 

"Think of it as a charity but with your time, he's the unfortunate. You can use this time to give him your stern thoughts," he assures me. It felt suspicious that he was pushing this but maybe he has a point and I could force Kevin into closure. 

I yawned from exhaustion, physically and mentally. Jake took it upon himself to carry me to the room and tuck me into bed. I lazy stripped off my clothes before I slept while he excused himself as he went to prepare dinner.

~End~