Façade: Within - Chapter 5

Lex

(Chehon’s POV)

A mischievous grin appeared on my face as I thought out what I was about to do. Dre’s phone is never in a silent or a vibrate mode. Soo..

*Calling Stealth Dre*

Yes. He’s on the stealth department. And I really can’t figure out how he made it far with that loud attitude of his.

“Mr. Parker, stealth is being cautious and surreptitious with your action or movement. It involves being able to act quietly and in the most soundless way. How could you be one if you can’t follow simple rule?”

“I’m really sorry, Professor. But I have to take this, it’s an emergency.”

I hear something rattle and a grunt. I scoffed. ‘Always the clumsy one, I see.’

“So, how was it?”

“Bad enough. Man, you’ve just ruined my reputation. Did you know that?”

“Nah. Of course, that’s why I called.”

I smirked.

“You... hahaha,okay-okay. What is it? And make it good.”

“Can’t promise. What garden section did we hangout last day?” As I asked that there is a silent phrase that’s already understandable to both of us. I forgot. And the teasing began in three, two …

“Ohh. Memory gap. You’re getting old, Chi. Better consult a curvy doc so you could hit two in one stone – I’ve heard there are many of them in the Medic-“

“I’m really questioning what you did to your professor to let him pass you.”

“It’s what you call charisma. Too bad you don-“

“Dre, please? The garden section?” Annoyance clouding my voice. Sometimes he just don’t know when to stop.

“Okay-okay. I think it’s around 8 to 10?”Raising his voice towards the end. Nice. I might as well search the whole area if that’s the case.

“Thanks.”

I ended the call before he’ll have any annoying remarks to say.

And before he’ll figure out why I was using my phone on a class hour.

I placed the two choco cake on a cellophane and headed to look for that section.

There she is. And my notebook.

I almost gave away my presence when I saw that look of pure concentration on her face. With her eyebrows almost forming an X and her nose bridge scrunch up on a funny way and her bottom lip being attacked by her teeth.

Feeling the need to rescue her lips from being smothered any longer, I spoke in a jesting tone.

“You don’t need to pressure yourself too much you know.”

And that’s why I don’t ever want to surprise people.

“Oww!”

“Damn.”

In spite the sting feeling I felt in my chin, I laughed quietly. She has the guts to steal my treasured words. Well, I was the one who should say ‘Damn’, not her.

“… when you’re clearly at fault for frightening me.”

Oh the mirth in my silent laughter escaped. It’s confirmed that she’s the boss’s daughter. Feisty.

“I don’t know why but I kinda expect those words from you.”

I feel her readying herself to give me a get back as she turned around.

And I was met by an endless black hue. I’ve never seen eyes as black as hers.

They’re more like mysterious type of black but not creepy if that made any sense.

“Lex.”

(Krista’s POV)

I immediately swing my leg towards him in an attempt to make him fall but of course he’d just jump and take a few steps back.

I was about to attack again when I stepped in a mound?

I close my eyes as I feel myself falling backwards but then strong arms kept me from that humiliation. And I smirk.

“Ouch! Damn, that’s the second time for today lady. You are lucky you’re the boss’s daughter. Tch.”

I froze in my place. I study his movements and the way how trusting he is in my presence.

“Lex is not or more like never does that in an enemy’s presence.’

And he knew my Otousan.

“Who are you?” I quietly asked in a measured tone.

There are many possibilities of this encounter: First, he may be in pretense with his calm and confiding exterior. After all, a façade is an agent’s most fierce weapon. Second, maybe he finds me first and is out to kill me.

I clenched my fist.

Maybe i was slacking too much, that I forgot why I trained so hard to begin with. Revenge.

I was expecting more of a threatening answer or a rash move not a dazzling smile despite his bleeding nose.

“The owner of that notebook you’re still stepping on.” He said it with a duh-isn’t-it-obvious tone that I know only girls used while looking down towards my feet, or shoes for that matter.

For awhile, I forgot that he’s supposed to kill me or I should attack him. My only thoughts turned into the notebook full of cryptic.

Oh, shit!

Gosh, I’m so sorry! Sorry! Damn. Sorry.”  Repeating this like a mantra while dusting the shoe prints off.

“Hahahaha.” Yes, a full blown chuckle escaped his lips.

“I like you.” As he flashed again that smile-smirk.

‘Yeah, sure. I like you too.’ I thought sneeringly.

“By the way, I’m Chehon Kyle. You are?” He said while extending his right arm out probably expecting for me to react like a normal girl and fawn over him.

“Krista.” I said in a monotone while I continue blandly staring at him not minding his extended arm at all. Now that I think back, I feel like a bipolar – aggressive at first, squeaky girl next and a bland last.

“Not that talkative, are you?”

While slowly putting down his arm. That smile of his is becoming annoying every growing second.

“Maybe you’ve switched personalities with your brother? He’s more of a … energetic person, to the extreme at that. And not to forget a bit childish. And may I know what I did aside from crashing accidentally with your head that caused you to look at me like I’ve grown a mushroom?”

He is too talkative. Hmm.

“Lex.” I tried again, waiting for a flicker of recognition or something.

“Uh. Who?” As he tilt his head to the right and his forehead showing mini stress lines.

 I’ve learned many Interrogation Approaches in the past years, which includes reading people but all in all the main rule rules out: Underneath the underneath.

On the human eye, you’ll totally believe him and that’s the start of a downfall.

And maybe, I do too. I’m a human after all.

AN: Thanks for reading! Comments and anything are very much welcome. Dedicated to mhai_psyche, thanks again for adding F:W in your reading list. :)

*"Underneath the underneath is a famous quotation of Hatake Kakashi (Naruto).

*No codes for now :)