Chapter 1

The Rescuers – Emily’s Army Fan Fiction

Sofia’s POV:

I ached all over.  I sat up, taking in my smashed up bedroom and groaned at the new bruises on my body. I decided to go and have a shower before my dad wakes up. As the boiling water hits my body, I have a flashback of the traumatic night I had last night.

“YOU SELFISH BITCH!” I heard my dad shout. What have I been accused of now?  I could hear his footsteps coming up the stairs and a pair following him. Please tell me Alex wasn’t here as well. Alex is my boyfriend. But he hits me. He threatens me and makes me depressed. My dad also abuses me, but his punches are so much more painful. There’s nowhere I can go. I hear their footsteps coming closer until I see their feet from underneath my bed.

“Sofia, I know you’re in here. Just come out and give your ol’ dad a hug.” I let out a sob. Shit. I felt Alex’s cold hand drag me out from under my bed.

“There’s the little slut. Go on Alex; feel free to give her what she deserves.” I felt a rock hard fist across my face.

“Fuck you, Alex.” I said as I winced in pain. My dad stood up and hit me in the stomach. He smashed my mirror and pulled down my wardrobe to show off his strength.

My vision was blurry because of the tears in my eyes. I felt a sharp pain drag across my forearm. I assumed it was a piece of glass from my mirror. I heard Alex laugh evilly.

“Sleep tight princess” said my dad and they both walked out.

End of flashback.

I heard movement come from my dad’s room so I quickly got dressed and left the bathroom for him.  I pretended to be asleep until I heard the shower turn on again.  While he was in there was my chance to leave the house for the day. I took my purse with £30 in it. I had managed to gradually take it from my dad’s wallet. I also put a hoodie, my iPod and my Emily’s army ticket for tonight into my bag. I also took my beloved camera with me considering I had a few hours to kill before the concert.

 Before I left my room, I looked underneath my bed at my small suitcase with some essentials in and thought to myself about how amazing it would be to get away from here.

Before I could allow myself to think any more, I found my key and left the house, making sure my dad didn’t know where I was.

I decided to spend the day taking some awesome shots of London. I’d go around the centre of London taking pictures of the London eye, Big Ben and BuckinghamPalace. Just taking in the amazing city atmosphere. Before I knew it, it was time I headed to Shepherd’s Bush Empire for the concert. I got on the tube and was there in about 15 minutes.

When it was my turn to have my ticket scanned, I got given the same leaflet everyone else in front of me had been given. Once I had taken my place in the crowd, I decided to read it.

‘Emily’s Army welcomes you to a post-show meet and greet! Meet Cole, Max, Joey and Travis after the concert!’

I couldn’t believe what I was reading. I was going to meet the four boys that have been the only thing keeping me alive. I couldn’t be more grateful for everything they have done for me.

The crowd screaming brought me out of my daydream and I looked onto the stage and saw Joey Armstrong walking on, Max, Cole and Travis following him with their guitars. Cole started playing the intro to ‘Part Time Bum’, followed by Travis and then Joey on the drums.

“School is out your grades are in, your personality stretched so thin but you’re done, and you fill it all up.” Cole began to sing.

They were even more beautiful in person. I decided to take some pictures as I was near the front. I got a few of Cole singing, some of Max playing bass and Travis playing guitar. I went to get one of Joey at the back of the stage and he caught my eye and pulled a face.  He was such a cutie; you could tell he was Billie Joe’s son.

As the concert went on they played West Coast, Broadcast This, Lost at 17, Gubermensch, Kids Just Wanna Dance and they were joined on stage by their sax player, Seb, for digital drugs. They were on their final song which was Loch Lomond. I had taken loads of awesome pictures and had an absolutely amazing time.

After the concert was the meet and greet. I was in line and I was next. Emily’s Army was in the next room! Before I had a chance to think what I was going to say, the person in front of me had come out which meant it was my turn, I walked in nervously and looked up at them. I was shaking with nervousness and excitement.

“Why are you shaking, we’re just like you.” Travis said to me whilst pulling me into a hug.

“Hey, aren’t you the girl that was at the front with the camera?” Joey asked.

“Yeah, that’s me.” I replied smiling at him.

“Do you mind if we have a look at your pictures?” Max questioned.

“Oh, sure. They’re not great but here.” I said handing him my camera

They spent a few minutes looking through my camera. I had a feeling they were going through all the other pictures on there. There were some black and white ones that had a lot of emotion in them. I took them as a way of expressing my depression to resist the urge of self harm. I have to say it worked for me.

“I don’t know what you’re on about. These are amazing!” Cole said. That meant a lot to me.

“Thank you so much.” I replied.

“What’s your name, sweetie?” Travis asked. Travis Neumann just called me sweetie, I wanted to have a fangirly outburst but I kept cool.

“Sofia Martin.” I replied as casually as I could.

“Well Sofia, we’d like to get in touch with you about your photos. Here’s my number. Text me when you can and meet us… outside the front doors to this venue at 11am tomorrow.” Said Joey. Did Joey just give me his number and tell me to meet them all again tomorrow?! I nodded at him and waved at them all and left. What could they want from me?

Once I was near my house, I decided to text Joey.

Hey Joey, it’s Sophia x

To which he responded with.

Hey, I wanted to wait till the morning to tell you this but we want you to be our photographer for the rest of the European Tour. If you’re up for it that is? X

I would give anything to get away from my dad and Alex.

Of course I will! X

He replied pretty quickly again

Awesome :D bring a suitcase with some stuff, we can get anything else you need on the way! See you tomorrow x

I was finally getting out of this hell hole tomorrow. No more abuse. Finally. As I arrived outside my house, I saw that my dad wasn’t in which meant I could pack my stuff, including my guitar. And write a nice little fuck  you note for my dad and Alex. I don’t want to spend another night in this place, so I’m going to spend the night on a bench or something. After tonight, all my dreams of not being beaten and put down every day will become reality and I could not be more excited.