Heartache

(again, music)^

Steven yawned and stretched, crawling out of bed. He looked at the half eaten pie.  He turned the doorknob to his bedroom and pushed the door open. Toriel was in the living room, sitting in her overly large chair. Steven wandered over to her. "How did I get here?" he asked. Toriel looked up from her book. "I had finally recovered my phone from that pesky dog, and your friend called me, saying that you were unconscious. I hurried over to your location, and carried you here!" she  answered, smiling kindly. 

Steven nodded. "Has any other human besides Frisk been in the underground?" Toriel jerked her head up from her book. "How do you know about Frisk?" Toriel stared at him, while Steven thought of an answer. "Uh, I was, um, up earlier and noticed that you had a person named Frisk in your contact list on your phone." Toriel relaxed visibly. "Not that I know of, no human has been in the underground. Someone else might know better than I, since I only just came to live here." Steven nodded, satisfied. He glanced around the room.  There were some stairs leading downstairs, and a gigantic plate of pie on the counter.

 Steven asked, "So... just curious, what's downstairs? Peridot came padding out of her room, alert and inquisitive. Toriel ignored Steven's question and began reading her book. "What's downstairs?" Steven asked again. "Um, you should leave that alone, it's nothing important." She looked at her book again. Steven repeated, "What's downstairs?" Toriel smiled. "Um, did you know that there are over 50 types of snails? Fascinating!" she said nervously. Steven looked her in the eye. "What. is. downstairs.?"  Toriel stood up. "Wait here, I must do something." She hurried off downstairs.

Peridot, who had been silent until then, looked at Steven. "What are you doing standing there? Follow her!" She ran down the stairs and into the room they led into. Steven followed. Toriel stood in the middle of the long hallway. "This is something I must do. Go back to your room." Without waiting for an answer, she turned down the hallway into another corridor. Peridot and Steven looked at each other and ran after her. "Go to your room children!" Toriel walked down another hallway. Steven and Peridot followed once more.

Toriel turned and looked at them. "This is what all of my children do. They come, they leave, they die. Do not let the same fate happen to you. Go back upstairs." She looked like she was on the verge of tears. Steven sighed, but encouraged Peridot to follow her again. They ran after Toriel. When they reached her, she was standing before two doors. "If you think you can go into the rest of the underground, then you have to get past me first!" Both Steven and Peridot's souls floated in front of them. Unlike Steven's, which was a red heart, Peridot's soul looked like the stone on her forehead, and was green. Toriel let them make the first move.

Steven pressed Act and begged, "Toriel, please let us leave! We have family and friends to find, I can't just stay here and leave them alone somewhere out there!!". Toriel ignored them. She sent a storm of fireballs at them. Peridot and Steven tried to avoid them. However, a fireball hit Steven on the arm and one hit Peridot on the foot. It left burn marks where they landed. "Ouch!!" Peridot yelped. Peridot pressed spare frantically, trying to escape the battle. Toriel sent more attacks their way. Peridot and Steven kept pressing spare until they were at 1 hp. "Please, let us go." Steven pleaded with her. Suddenly, Toriel's attacks began avoiding them. Steven pressed spare. Toriel stopped sending attacks. "We could have a good life here. You don't have to leave. If you leave, him, Asgore will kill you. Don't go." She asked desperately. Steven looked at her. "Have you ever had someone that you need to stay by their side at all time, no matter the consequences?" Toriel hesitated. "...yes. I have. And I miss them" She looked away, avoiding eye contact with Steven. "I will let you leave, to find your family." she relented. Her mind seemed to be far in the past, her eyes were filled with tears.  "Good luck, I shall miss you dearly." she told them.

 Toriel leaned down and hugged them. "Now go." She gave them one last look and walked down the hallway towards the house. Peridot walked straight out the open door. Steven was about to follow, but stopped as he heard Toriel say, "Wait!" He turned around. Toriel stared at him. "About the question of earlier... ask the librarians in Snowdin about a person named Chara." Her expression was completely serious. Steven nodded. "I will." Toriel turned and walked toward her house. Steven could hear her sniffling a little bit. 

Steven stared out the door, and took a first step into the cold, forbidding unknown.