Chapter nineteen

The gorgeous Ney for you all, enjoy xo
__________

"Laura, it's been three days that you're in bed."

"So?"

He sighed, seeing how irresponsive she was, "come on, get dressed, we'll go have breakfast," he patted her on the back.

"No," she replied, turning her back to him.

All he got from her for the past days were this coldness and the few words that came with it. He tried everything to cheer her up, to make her forget, but nothing seemed to work. What drove him crazy is that throughout their whole friendship, he never saw her that broken. She was one of the toughest and bravest girls he knew, in fact this is why he fell in love with her. She fought her way through a hard life she didn't choose, that started with her parents' divorce. Leaving the house at a young age to pursue her dreams and build her own life, made her the woman she is today, full of ambitions and hope. However, this, this version of her was unknown to him. She was a mess, that only wanted to survive each day instead of living it. And he didn't understand, in fact, he would never understand why she needed him that much in her life, or why her heart chose him.

She waited for him to give up and leave her alone so she could bury herself under her blanket in the hope of having a long sleep. She hadn't slept in days, obsessing about this exact day, the day of the match. She couldn't afford thinking about him being in the same country as her, in a stadium that is only fifteen minutes away. She had the opportunity to see him, but she didn't want to. Why would she fight for him if he had already given up on her?

Getting out of her bed, she searched her purse for her sleeping pills. She first used them at the beginning of the week, when her sleeping schedule got really messy, but she had to stop them after only two days because they were messing with her heart rate, to even cause an aching in her chest. Marc got worried, so he called her doctor back at Barcelona, who recommended stopping the pills to prevent any complications. Thus, she stopped them and lacked sleep for three days. But this time was different; she needed the pills. Sleeping through this day would be ideal, so they can play the match and leave back home without her being affected in any way. Like nothing happened.

Turning her purse upside down, she finally found what she was looking for. She looked at herself in the mirror for few seconds, not recognizing the ghost in front of her. The dark circles under her eyes were glowing at the same intensity of the desperation eating her up. She had to end this in any way.

"What are you doing?" Marc called out, stepping into the room. "You know you shouldn't take those," he said, approaching her.

Ignoring him she opened the bottle to take two pills, "i need to sleep," she replied.

"You're not taking them!" He exclaimed, closing the palm of her hand with his, to stop her.

"You don't understand!" She tried to move her hand from under his grip, "i need to sleep, i need to shut it down, my brain is eating itself!"

With these words, she collapsed on the floor, dragging her best friend down with her. "You don't understand.. no one understands.. make it stop, please."

She started sobbing, letting the pills fall to the ground, as she curled herself to finally crack. He watched her cry her eyes out, with all of her body shaking uncontrollably. He tried holding her in his arms to comfort her but she didn't let him, and he didn't force her. He knew she was breaking down, it was all just too much, and he wasn't ready to risk her health after all that have happened.

Taking a long breath, he let out words he never expected to say.

Her sobs suddenly stopped, "what?" She replied shocked.