Chapter seventeen

I wanted to share this pic with you in honor of La Remontada; enjoy the chapter xo
____________________________

"Can we talk?" He peeked through the door, seeing that she woke up.

Her look seemed distant, unrecognizable. Who knew that Marc's words would easily get under her skin?

"Please?" He repeated desperately.

She nodded, lifting herself slowly to a more comfortable position.

He closed the door and sat on the small couch next to her bed.

"Can you tell me what happened?" He asked, in a low voice, not wanting to provoke any bad reaction.

"Now you care?" She suddenly blurted out, sucking all the serenity out of the room.

This was the beginning of the end.

"What?! Of course i care Laura. I spent the whole night here."

"Right. You only remember when something bad happens to me. Just like when i fainted at your place. And now this."

He always described her as a hurricane. But this time was different. She was an erupting volcano that won't stop before wrecking everything within reach.

"That's not true. You know it's not." He tried reasoning her.

"Why? What proves that it's not? You left me alone the moment it was all over the news, and it's not like i asked for it. It was forced on me."

She shook her head, remembering how much she was ready to sacrifice for him. "And i had no problem with it, you know? I had no problem to take it with you because we're supposed to be in this together. But you shut me out; you were cold when i needed you. So tell me, how is it not true?"

He didn't know what to respond. She was right in every word, but he's always been like this. He always coped with problems the same way. He was unbearable whenever he got mad; if he shuts someone out, he better be left alone. It was his nature.

"I was being selfish. I'm sorry."

"That's all you have to say? You're sorry?"

She was getting sick of having to figure out every thought he has, always making excuses for his taciturnity.

"I don't know what else you want from me, Laura. I'm here, and i'm apologizing. I know i hurt you, but this is how i am. I never cared enough about someone else to think for both of us, or change my behavior for them. I was always used to doing what's best for me and my career."

"So you don't care enough about me?"

"No! This is not what i meant."

This was going faster than it should. Harsher than it should. A long awaited heart to heart conversation leaning into a destructive crescendo. Except that, this time, their hearts won't get the last word.

"Why would you care about me anyway, you're right. I'm a nobody."

"Where does this come from?"

"I'm the nobody who destroyed the perfect family."

Those weren't even her words. It was a mix of Marc, the press, and her insecurities all together.

"The perfect family? We were nothing but perfect. We maintained a relationship based on nothing, on lies, just for the sake of my career and our son. I know that maybe if we thought harder about it, we could've spared ourselves this mess, but it was the only solution we saw at the moment."