Chapter one

One more day of bittersweet pleasure. One more day of helpless hope. One more day of agonizing satisfaction.

She walked trembling just like every time she was about to see him. Despite coming to this house everyday, she still didn't get a hold over her heart, her nerves, her breath, every time she walked through this garden.

'You're here to work. Control yourself, it's just another day.' The voice in her head forced her to get a grip over herself.

She rubbed her hands together before fixing her dress and knocking on the familiar door.

"Hey Antonella. I'm sorry i'm late, but i had this lunch with an old friend, and i didn't think it'll take so long. I hope you didn't need me for something urgent with the kids."

"Ohh Laura it's okay. The kids were happy to spend some time with Leo since he's home today. So there's nothing to worry about. Come in please." Anto welcomed her with a warm smile.

Great, she thought, he's home.

"Laauuuuraaa!" Thiago screamed and jumped in her arms, happy to see her.

"Well, hello to you too big boy." She laughed, hugging him really tight.

"I missed you." Thiago said while breaking the hug. "Ouuuh you look pretty."

"Thank you sweetie." She said after kissing him on his cheek.

Walking her to the living room, Thiago stopped and asked, "so where were you?", his big brown sparkly eyes staring at her.

"I was just seeing a friend."

As they entered the room, Leo's eyes turned immediately in her direction. He slowly contemplated her beautiful red dress that was highlighting perfectly the shape of her body. This was the first time he had seen her wearing something other than the casual jeans and t-shirts. And he surely couldn't hide his amazement.

"Papi, Laura's here!" Thiago screamed, knocking his dad back to reality.

They both laughed at his excitement, before Leo finally decided to speak.

"Hey." He said, giving her a small smile.

"Hi.."

He was fixing her with his eyes not wanting to break the contact just yet, but she couldn't hold it much longer as she felt her eyes burn with desire. He always sensed how nervous she got every time he was around, but he never took the time to dig more into it.

"It's the first time that you're late. What happened?" Leo asked.

"Uhm, I.."

"SHE HAD TO SEE HER FRIEND!" Thiago screamed again while playing with his lego on the floor.

"Oh."

"Yeah.. He's traveling tomorrow so i had to see him today." She tried her best to form a correct sentence, shook by his rather cold reaction.

"Alright."

Nothing much has been said after. She decided to remain silent as the tension was rising in the room. It was unlikely for him to be in a bad mood. Is he mad at her for being late? But Antonella said it's fine. Maybe he's just pissed off for another reason. Maybe he fought with Antonella.. its been months she's watching them, and she knew by heart that their relationship isn't the usual type, something was off. They were never intimate together, she had never seen them kiss, it was more like a friendship than anything else, but she couldn't get the hang of it just yet. However, she could be just making up these scenarios in her head to justify her attraction, to make herself feel better and erase any trace of guilt.
She shouldn't over think this. It could be anything.. She thought.