Ch37 - Hold On

Ch37 - Hold On

[PRESENT]

And now we're here, back where we started, at the beginning of this long story...In my head I'm torn between the two people I love dearly. I have to make a life changing decision. Ivy or him?

My lips tremble as I hardly make out his name "P-puddin'?"

His strong gaze bores into me, into my flesh, my eyes, every inch of my body is on fire.

"Now don't you Puddin' me Harley!" He rages towards me and that's when another hit happens.

I fly across the room my head hitting the hard floor and my eyes begin to blur. I try so hard not to just pass out...

*FLASHBACK*

"I would be careful with him, Doctor Quinzel you stare into the abyss long enough..." Batman told me as we stood in front of Joker's cell as he leaned against the glass listening in on our conversation.

"And you may find a broken man trying to climb out! A difficult task when you keep breaking his bones, Batman." I gave him a death stare.

~

"Think about it, doctor...think how irrelevant we all are in the big picture. You made this elaborate illusion of law order and control. Yet, the same day the city council decides on the new parking rules, the man of steel just barely stops an alien invasion.

"Now that's funny!" Joker was about to burst out laughing on my couch.

"I never thought you concerned yourself with metahumans."

"HAHAHAHAHAHA Oh no! No, no, no doctor! I haven't suddenly developed an inferiority complex! I merely see them as a metaphor!"

I continued to try and analyze him.

"Their actions reflect the world as I see it. Gods fight, people die, and no laws can stop it! This is what makes Batman so interesting he is a symbol, a desperate attempt of one man to show that control is possible."

"So...How do you see yourself then?" I bit my lip.

"Heh. Well kiddo, I am what happens when society takes itself too seriously!"

~

I walked down a cold and empty forest feeling the goosebumps appear all over my body. "Doctor, doctor, doctor...Still in your lab coat...uniforms, they do bring a certain sense of control with them, don't they! Well...that does seem to be the prevailing opinion among the birds, the cats and the bats.."

I heard his voice echo, so I looked around but found nothing.

"However, I do assure you this sense of control is just an illusion! Or maybe...a mad person's delusion?" My hands searched for my lab coat and from that it turned into a red and black jester dress.

I gasped "I'm..I'm not mad!"

"Oh, but you must be!"

"Or you wouldn't have come here!" Finally out of the shadows he appeared and grabbed me from the back hugging me tightly.

Shock filled me as I felt like I'd never felt before. He smiled widely at me revealing his white crooked teeth.

I desperately wished I could have called it a nightmare...Because the truth was too disturbing.

He got under my skin...

I didn't just snap out of that dream sweaty...

I woke up wet.