Ch16 - One Bad Day

Ch16 - One Bad Day

Joker's P.O.V

My eye sight began to blur and the last thing I remembered was seeing Harleen standing in front of me whispering something into my ear...

"Well? How did it go? did they like your act?" I heard my wife's sweet voice call from the rotten kitchen as I came back from another day of trying to apply for work.

If you would even call it work..

"Um..they...uh..said they might call me. I dunno I, I got nervous and messed up a punch line." I bit my lip not looking at her in the eyes and took of my hat.

"Oh."

I swung around and quickly walked over to my pregnant Jeannie. "What do you mean 'oh'?" I nearly spat that sentence out not really having a choice there.

"I-I didn't mean anything." She stuttered meaning she meant something!

"Yes you did. The way you said it: 'oh' like that." I mimicked her high pitched voice.

"Jesus all I said was-"

"You said 'oh'. As in 'oh' so you didn't get a job? As in 'oh', so how are we going to feed the baby? You think I'm not worried about that!" I exclaimed my mind rushing and my rising brushing through my hair every now and then. "You think I don't c-care, that this is all a big joke to me or something...jeez I have to go, I have to go and stand up there. And nobody laughs, and you think I..." Tears spring down my face as I crouch down and I start crying in her laps. "Oh god."

"Oh baby..." She stroke my back making me feel better.

"Oh god, I'm sorry. I don't mean to take it out on you. You're suh-suffering enough being married to a loser."

"Honey, that's not-"

I interrupted her again "It's true. I can't support you. Oh Jeannie what are we going to do?" I sobbed

~

"I wouldn't, well, I wouldn't be doing this sort of thing if, if it wasn't something important. It's like I began as a lab assistant, right? Was a good job, real good job. So what I did, I quit to become a comedian. I was so sure. So sure I had talent. But Ha, well look at me. I guess my talents didn't lie in that direction." I kept on mumbling afraid of what they would think, "So you see, if I do one big crime..."

Sitting in a bar with a mere two people I fidgeted in my chair.

"Hey, Jeez, man, be cool."

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry, I don't usually drink lunch times...It's just, you're sure we can get away with this thing and that nobody will know I was involved..." I bit my lip sipping on some beer nervously.

"Not to worry friend. We'll take care of you." The man to the left of me shoved a shrimp in his mouth chewing on it slowly.

"We need your help getting through the chemical plant where you worked to the playing card company next door. We really appreciate you expertise." My eyes shot to the man on the right of me as he shoved a shrimp down my throat.

"So, like, to absolutely guarantee that nobody connects you to the robbery you'll be wearing this." The man on the left opened this bag and revealed a red hood and a cape.

My eyes widened in shock.

"Wearing? B-but there are no eyes-slits, I won't be able to see." I mumbled under my breath.