Ch3 - Careful

Ch3 - Careful

"I am willing to take sessions with the Joker." I said sternly as an explosion of laughter proceeded.

-

I looked around at the laughing crowd, they obviously didn't believe that a novice like me could take on a hard job like that. I'd prove them wrong!

Looking down at Sean I realized he had a look of empathy on his beautiful face. He shook his head and patted for me to sit back down but I was not backing down any time soon.

I cleared my throat which made the crowd surprisingly shut up. I smiled and looked at Jeremiah Arkham who was trying to compose his laugher as well. "Oh." He said as if he though I was joking.

I stared at him and he slowly looked down at some parers probably researching something important. "But you're a novice?"

"I'm willing to try." He shook his head biting on his rosy lips.

"Well Dr. Quinzel, if you're so keen I'll see what I can do." He smiled looking down at my tight black skirt and then quickly looked back up at the stunned crowed. "Dismissed!" He ordered as everyone stood up scattering.

I was hoping Sean wouldn't catch that but tough luck he sure did, "Harleen you shouldn't!" He spoke up grabbing my hand in his.

"I want to." I rolled my eyes and pulled my hand back walking towards my office.

"Didn't you see the way he was looking at you?" I shook my head trying to ignore that what he said was true.

Dr. Arkham did look strangely at me, as if I owed him something in exchange for the Joker.

"He..he-" I didn't let him finish his sentence and quickly pecked his lips a blush creeping up my neck. I pulled back and looked at his now softened expression checking in case any of my coworkers saw what just happened.

"I'm with you and that's all that matters."

He nodded and turned around slowly walking away towards his next post.

I exhaled slowly slouching my shoulders and wiping away some fake sweat of off my forehead. Carefully I began to recollect what had happened as I had entered my office and sat down on the chair behind my desk. Reaching out for some old papers that were in the drawers I heard a knock on my door. "Come in!" I shouted not paying any attention to who it was.

"Dr. Quinzel." I heard a male voice say and I instantly looked up at the figure in the doorway.

"Please seat yourself Dr. Arkham." He slowly shut the door and sat down on the couch looking at me, "What can I help you with?"

"Call me Jere, please. and I'm here to talk about you volunteering to take on the Joker." His smile grew as he stood up walking slowly towards my table.

"Oh that, I'm willing to work hard and I'm willing to try too." I scratched the back of my neck as he shushed me in the process of my fast speaking.

"Harleen, I know you're a well educated woman and you know what a man like me wants don't you?"

My eyes widened as he smirked locking the door.

"Do you think I don't know how you got those outstanding grades and qualifications Dr. Quinzel?"

"Excuse me?" I scratched the back of my neck feeling uncomfortable.

"Don't play dumb Harleen." He placed his hands on his hips a stern expression on his face as he inched his face closer to mine.