Death Is A Funny Thing

Somewhere far.....

Just a few minutes before the sunrise, where the sun are visible at the end of horizon, far from the distance, a man with beard in grey hoodie and running pants can be seen running towards the statue of Rio de Janeiro or known as Christ the Redeemer. Puff his breath, and he stop right at the front of the statue. He sits at the bottom of the statue and light a cigarette. Exhales the first sip, he lean his head against the statue.

"Twenty years...."

Then he faces down the ground and reminisce the memories of his past. The sun ray hit his face and it a sign for him to run all the down to his house. The view of his house can be seen from the top of the hill where his house is lies within the rural area of Brazil. Forty years ago the earth were struck by the DIE virus where it turned most humans into one of the man-eating creatures or known as "mutant". But oddly, Brazil weren't much affected as America. Maybe the disease didn't spread that much. Or maybe the livings had a unique immunity compared to others.

He reached his house and immediately takes a shower. He put on his working clothes which resembles the clothes of a mechanic. Before he leaves, he kisses the tip of his fingers and pressed it against the only memory he has from the past, his family picture.

"I miss you guys."

He leaves the house and his elderly female neighbour greets him with a smile.

"Bom dia."
"Morning."
"Going to work, son?"
"Sim."
"Alright. Say hello to your boss Lucas."
"Will do."

Just before he leaves his neighbour, she tells him to wait and hand him a packed food.

"Your lunch food."
"Obrigado."

He is on his way to his working place where he worked as a mechanic for the last decades. His boss, Lucas, took him as his employee nineteen years ago. Even though his boss is a strict boss, but he knows that deep within his heart, he tries to help him. He reaches the workshop and he can see his colleague and his boss are working on a car. His boss notices his presence and immediately yells at him.

"Jake! Why are you late!?"
"My bad. Sorry."
"Now go get to work!"
"Aye, sir."

His hands are working but his mind is somewhere else. Twenty years. It felt like just yesterday that he and Lars barely made it to Brazil. The explosion almost killed them both but the luck was on their side. They survived the blast but there's a price to it. They lose half of their power. They aren't as strong as they were twenty years back. For them, maybe it's a gift of the god so that they would able to live a normal life as a human. They arrived at the city of Rio with secret identities of their own, except their names. They told the people of Rio that they were just a duo of survivors that just stumble upon the town of Rio and they need a place to settle in. Then, Lucas rings the bell and wake Jake from his daytime dream.

"Alright, Jake. That's it for today. Here's the money."
"Thanks, boss."

He folds his money into his pocket and leave. He ventures deep into the rural, where Lars lives with his families. Once he reaches there, he saw the door is wide open with no one at sight. He went in and calls out for people. Suddenly, two pair of kids spring on him and wrap around his legs.

"Gotcha!"
"Oh no."
"Nobody can beat the power of Gabriela and Elizabeth!"
"Oh no. But, with the power of Jakey the Monster."

He grabs them both all the way to kitchen where their mother, Maria is cooking.

"Mama! Help! Jakey the Monster has arrived!"

Jake makes cartoon voice of a monster and they run away from him with laughter. Maria smiles as her children leave the kitchen. Jake sit next to the kitchen table and Maria serves him with a cup of warm tea and biscuits.

"They have grown up, aren't they?"
"Yes, Jake. They grow up fast. One moment they were kids, then suddenly one moment they are ladies."
"So, where is Lars?"
"He should be back soon. He went somewhere and he told me that he has something to do."
"And, where is your son?"
"Raphael is a bad boy. He won't listen to his father, he won't listen to me. I didn't see for the last three days."
"You guys should go easy on him. He's an adult now."
"He loves fighting so much that he even dare to risk his own life for the sake of it. The adrenaline, the pleasure."
"Kinda his daddy side of thing. At least your girls have taken a little thing of your side. I guess I know where Lars is going to."

Jake leave Lars's house and make his way downtown, where the underground fight were held. Once he is there, he can see that the father and son have a little quarrel at the entrance of a building. Raphael pushes his father aside and enters the building. Lars sighs at the attitude of his son. Jake pats on his shoulder and greets him.

"Sup, buddy. Family problem?"
"Yeah. He never listens to me. The war has ended twenty years ago but people are still fighting among each other's. Just for fun? The last time I fought, I fought for the future. This is not the future I wanted."
"So am I, Lars. Twenty years ago you told me to leave everything behind so that we could live; they could live a peaceful life. I haven't seen my family for twenty years. I wonder how Renee is doing. Doc, Devil, Karl....and my son..."
"I'm sorry, Jake. It is the only way. Let them believe that you and I were dead. The government won't stop until us both dead."
"I guess you're right. Let's get back to your house."
"Not without Raphael. I'll go get him first."
"Lars, way-"

Lars storm through the door and Jake follow him down to the basement where the caged arena is built. Lies at the centre of the arena are his son and his opponent. Lars breaks through the crowd and suddenly they are stopped by the security.

"What you think you are doing?"
"Get out of my way or else...."
"Or else what? Are you threatening me!?"

The securities are surrounding them. The bulkiest one is standing in front of Lars with smirk on his face.

"Go home, old man."
"Don't tell me that I didn't warn you."
"You what!?"

The guard throw his fist towards Lars, only to be kicked by Lars to the face. The kick was so hard that the guard's fall shatters the ground. Jake is surprised by the strength of Lars.

"You have been working out lately, Lars?"
"Nope. Let just say that, our powers were never gone."