Two - Surviving.

-One year later-

"We need to get back to the cabin!" I yelled, my hands shook after shooting down the last biter.

"Let's go before anymore of those things show up." Mark whispered, trying not to draw anymore attention to us.

Things had been incredibly different since Carl and his family had ditched me. After I'd discovered that they were gone, I took Carl's bike and rode out of town, I eventually got to the highway where I found Mark.

He hadn't been my best friend in high school, far from it actually, considering how much he picked on Carl and I. But at the time I'd had no other choice, it was him or death.

And I would take him over death any day.

Despite being so young at the beginning, he'd taken a car, and that was where I found him, being ambushed by a horde of biters but somehow, I managed to save him.

Later, he offered me a ride, so I ditched Carl's bike and we rode to his Uncle and Aunt's cabin in the forest. When we finally reached the cabin, we found his Aunt infected so we had to put her down, we never discovered what happened to Mark's uncle, he was over in New Zealand for work when this whole thing happened.

Mark hoped that he was alive, but on the inside we both knew that he was gone,

"Lydia!" A scream pierced the air, like a knife. "Help me!"

"Mark!" I tried to pull the biter away from him to shoot it, but it was all too late because the thing had already ripped into his neck.

Quickly, I pulled the beast away from Mark and shot it in the head, before dropping to my knees beside the dying boy.

"Mark, please you can't leave me...'"

"Y-you're stronger than I am... I believe in you."

"No, no, no! You are not leaving me not like this! I still love you. You're the only thing I have left in this world, you can't do this!" I begged

As gently as I possibly could, I rested my forehead on top of his own and I watched as he took his last breath and the life faded from his eyes.

I rested my head against his lifeless body and waited for him to turn but I never saw it happen because my eyes closed and I found myself drifting into a nightmarish sleep.

I woke to something heavy on top of me, it was Mark. I was too weak to fight back. And if it hadn't been for a bullet piercing through his forehead, taking life away from him for the second time that day, I probably would've let him take my life too.

With tears in my eyes, I gently pushed his body off of me. I couldn't help but wonder who had shot him, but in that moment that wasn't what mattered. What mattered was Mark's death, what mattered was that I had just lost the only person I had left to care about in the entire world.

And so, I pulled my legs up to my chest and cried. I cried until I gasped for air and my nails dug into the skin of my palm out of anger, out of pain, out of loss.

Suddenly, I felt a hand on my shoulder, I didn't bother looking up at that moment, if it was a walker then I'd just be glad to have my life over with.

"Drop any weapons that you got." A voice spoke, "Come on, don't make me shoot you like I just did that Walker."

"Can't you give someone a second to grieve?"

"I said, get up."