Chapter 13

Reader's POV

The storage container we were in was surrounded by other storage containers. It was on a boardwalk that was about a foot above the ocean. It was a little abandoned shipping dock. the air was stiff and quiet unlike how it was amidst the fighting.

I was forced to sit there quietly and watch this guy steal my belongings. He seemed pleased as he toyed with my precious pocket knife. I wanted to punch him in the jaw but I was unable to do as I desired.

Guys... Please get here quick...

The man then decided he was bored of my knife and tossed it off of the deck and into the water. I could do nothing but watch as my prized possession was tossed into the abyss, and I knew I'd probably never get it back.

I then heard the silent click of a gun being cocked. I turned to the man, thinking he was aiming a gun at me but he was staring in another direction. I followed his gaze and saw all of The Vanoss Crew standing there with their weapons readied. I let out a muffled noise that meant I was glad to see them.

Vanoss shot the Sangre guy with no hesitation. I watched the man's lifeless body fall onto the boardwalk. Wildcat then walked over and pushed the man off of the deck and into the water so he could rest peacefully with my pocket knife.

Vanoss came over to untie my arms and legs while the others made sure every Sangre guy was dead. He untied the rag that was in my mouth and I let out a sigh of relief.

"Are you okay?" Vanoss asked with genuine sympathy, which caught me off guard.

"Yeah, it's just..." I started.

"What happened?" he asked.

"Well, he tossed my pocket knife into the water," I looked over at the water and moped. Vanoss sighed, slightly agitated.

"We can get you a new one," he huffed.

"But it won't be the same. The company that made that knife has long since gone bankrupt and disappeared," I looked back at Vanoss and he looked like he wanted to end the conversation. I grinned a little to show him that I wasn't being totally serious, though I will miss my pocket knife.

He helped me off of the ground. He accidentally got really close to my face, and I felt my face become red as we stood there awkwardly, so close I could feel his breath on my skin.

I looked away from his face in an attempt to hide my embarrassment. I heard him chuckle and he placed his arm around my shoulder.

As soon as everyone came back, we left and went back to one of the farmhouses. Though everyone was tired, we all had a sense of accomplishment. We had defeated Sangre. We were free from our rivals, at least for now.

"Hey guys, now that we've done what we wanted to do, shouldn't we disband and go our separate ways?" Jason stopped to ask as everyone sat around in the living room. We all decided to go back to my group's farmhouse and play some videogames together.

I paused, remembering what Jason told me when I found out we were working with The Vanoss Crew:

"Since The Vanoss Crew has also had issues with Sangre, they have agreed to help. In other words, we are now one gang for the time being."

So, our time working as one gang has come to an abrupt end. I looked down at the floor. I was actually starting to enjoy myself with these guys.

"I mean, if you guys would like, we can still remain one gang," Vanoss spoke up from beside me. I nearly jumped off the couch with excitement when he spoke. I looked expectantly at Jason and he looked as surprised as I was.

"If you guys are okay with that," Jason replied. Panda, Sark, and Nanners cheered when Jason spoke. I grinned and looked over at Vanoss. He was looking at me and he smiled back when my eyes met his. I felt my face heat up as I looked at his smile.

~

I stood outside on the porch by myself, watching the sun slowly go down. The sky was deep shades of red, purple, orange, and pink. I felt myself relax as I sat on the porch swing and gently rocked back and forth. Everyone else was inside playing against each other in Mario Kart, but I wanted some time to myself. I could hear their yelling and raging from outside.

I heard someone open the door, and the yelling grew louder. I looked over and saw Vanoss coming to join me. He closed the door, and the yelling became quiet again.

"Mind if I join you?" he smiled politely.

"No, not at all," I smiled back at him as he sat next to me on the porch swing. We stared at the sunset in silence for a minute or two.

"It's gorgeous," he sighed and smiled, looking like he was reminiscing.

"I agree," I replied. I felt his arm drape over my shoulder. I looked at him and he smiled at me. I rested my head on his chest.

I could feel myself drifting to sleep as I listened to his heartbeat. I allowed myself to fall asleep in his arms.