Silence hit the room, but not for a while until they all began pouring out fake blessings and wishes. I couldn’t understand how people can say things like that so easily when they don’t really mean it at all. They are exactly the types that I dislike the most, just saying things when they actually don't care less. I’m hurt.

Last few hours of my life in Hamilton dragged past. Mum’s car was already pulled to the front of the school waiting for me to arrive. I waddled to the car trying to balance all the recycle bags at once. Mum immediately spotted me and jumped out of the car to help.

“How is it, sweetie?” mum said softly.

“I’m fine, no hard feelings.” I replied.

On the way home it was painful, neither of us spoke. Mum’s face was full of anxiety and regret. No matter how much she’d tried to cover it every time she’d caught me looking at her. She’d placed a hand on my hand as she let the auto run itself. Mum’s hand felt cold, as if I could sense the energy leaking through the tips of her fingers, I could tell how much she’d missed me already and her fathomable love seeped through my skin.

Tears trickled down the sides of my face. Before I knew it I was truly crying. It was the first time I ever shed a tear long since I remembered. Strange feeling of heart burns merge out of my chest making it harder to breath. More tears came out and this alien feeling of mine began to cause me uncomfortable hiccups.

Noticing me, mum pulled to the side and stopped the car. She’d cuddled me and rocked me back and forth. Great, now I gotten her started as well. My arms clung onto her as if she was my only life line. This strange feeling was getting stronger and stronger and both us were crying out loud. So this was sadness. It was the harshest feelings of all emotions. For all my life I was surrounded with loving parents, old friends who knew me so well yet so far away and caring grandparents. There was no time in my life that I was sad and finally I have gotten the taste of it. It was so bitter yet so sweet on the tip of my tongue.

It was strange, when I finally recovered. People who drove by waggled their eyebrows at us. I gently patted mum’s shoulder and waited for her turn to calm down. I could feel the wetness on my left shoulder and her sorrowful cries echoing in my ears. When she finally came around the corner, she’d slowly pulled away from my gasp and stared at me with her bloodshot eyes.

“ You’re the best thing that ever happened to me and Oscar,” she said slowly full of affections. “Promise me that you’ll call once in a while or at least write emails to us.”

“Mum, I’m not leaving till tomorrow night. We still got time,” I told her.

I leaned over and kissed her damp blotchy cheek. Then mum began to restart the car, heading for home.

Dad was on the phone talking to someone who made him sound distressed. It had been a long time since I’ve seen him smile. For the past few months it had been a horror for him with his business falling apart and employees demanding for a raise. Now it’s all settled, he’s probably on the phone trying to convince his own partnership back.

“Welcome back, Sophie. How’s school?” Dad punched the end button.

I settled my books on the floor and prepared for a daddy’s girl hug. I sighed as he did so giving me one of his bear hugs that I dislike. There’s one thing I have to confess that I’m actually emotionally retarded and no wonder no one in Hamilton for all those years tried to approach me because of my everyday same blank face.

“It’s okay,”

It wasn’t a lie because I didn’t have to see those fakers anymore but I know I’ll totally miss the school’s prestigious buildings, that never failed to amaze me.