THE WEAKNESS OF OUR IMAAN

The message of tonight’s talk is that we need to make a concerted effort to develop this steam of Divine love. Until we do not acquire and conserve this steam of Love within ourselves, everything we do will remain Zaahiri (external).

…It really stuns a person, but all that can be done sometimes is resort to fervent and sincere du’aa that Allah Ta’ala grants to us such Imaan that impels us in the right direction and
keeps us steadfast.

One afternoon, a young person, with a beard, Deeni libaas (attire) and who is a five-time namazi requested me for permission to shave his beard. Why ? …Due to an application which was made for a visa to a certain country. The person in charge of the department told him that he stands no chance with his beard.

So he said : “I just want permission to shave my beard and get the application through. Once I’ve got my papers, I’ll keep my beard again.”

I said: “Bhai, have I made the Shariah that I can give you permission to shave your beard ? …What of the displeasure of Allah? If you want to shave and displease Allah Ta’ala, why make me a partner in your sin ?”

This is the point I’m trying to make : Just Salaah, Zikr, some Deen work, a little Da’wah and Tabligh, or a short visit to the Khanqa, is not sufficient. The necessary element is the steam of Divine love.

This Imaani steam is only obtained from the hearts of those who have the reality of it in their hearts. In the company of those whose hearts are aflame with the love of Allah Ta’ala,
we too will get that steam. Otherwise, Shaytaan will easily convince us to indulge in Haraam in spite of our work of Deen.

…So I asked this person as to what guarantee he has that Izraeel (‘Alaihis Salaam) won’t extract his soul while the razor is moving down his face. What guarantee does he have that
even if he gets those documents, he will live to see a few more months, so that the beard grows one fist length?

Alhamdulillah, this brother made sincere taubah from this sin and kept his beard.