EXTINGUISHING THE FIRE OF SINS

Corroborating aptly to the subject matter, is yet another exceptional simile to be found in the Mathnavi Sharif.

Maulana Jalaluddeen Rumi (Rahmatullah ‘alaih) asks :“What
will extinguish the fire of Jahannum?” …How do we overcome the partial or total eclipses which we experience?

Allah Ta’ala mentions in Surah Qaaf :

“ON THE DAY WHEN WE WILL SAY TO HELL : ‘ARE YOU FILLED?’…”

“…IT WILL SAY: ‘ARE THERE ANY MORE (TO COME)?’”
[SURAH QAAF 50 : 30]

People will be thrown into the fire of Hell; yet despite the millions that will reside in Jahannum, it will never say that it is full until Allah Ta’ala will place His Foot over it (this is in reference to His Tajalli,His Command, etc. for Allah Ta’ala is free from physical form and shape).

When He does this, then Jahannum will say:
          “ (Enough! Enough! )”

Likewise, what extinguished the heat of the fire of Namrood which was to consume Hazrat Ibraheem (‘Alaihis Salaam),who was the Khaleel (friend) of Allah ? …Maulana Rumi (Rahmatullah ‘alaih) explains that it was the Noor of Allah Ta’ala which was in the heart of Hazrat Ibraheem (‘Alaihis Salaam).

Allah Ta’ala commanded the fire to become cool, and made it tranquil and comfortable.

“WE (ALLAH) SAID : ‘O FIRE! BE COOLNESS AND
PEACE FOR IBRAHEEM.’”
[SURAH AMBIYAA 21 : 69]

Then Maulana Jalaluddeen Rumi (Rahmatullah ‘alaih) asks :
“What will extinguish the fire of your evil desires and lusts?”
And then he provides the answer :
“…It is the Noor of Allah.”

The fire of the evil desires of our nafs not only burns the spiritual heart but also the very delicate entity of Imaan. Many have sacrificed Imaan and Islam for a beautiful face, or for some worldly wealth and power, or even for a short-lived ‘name and fame’. What was it? …It was desire and lust, for more and more and more.

The Noor of Allah which is generated from His Zikr, via different forms of Ibaadah and the fulfillment of rights, will extinguish the fire of our evil passions.

By refraining and resisting the temptations of sin, by burning the evil desires of our hearts with the love and fear of Allah, we protect the Noor of Ibaadah that has filled up in
our hearts. By indulging in sins, we destroy this Noor.