Chapter 25 | Cheater

"Jackson, I can explain."
"What do you mean, 'You know know I can't come and see you'?"
"Jackson, listen to me-"
"Why can't I find out, Mark?! What are you keeping from me?!" He yelled in frustration, lowering the phone from his ear.
"I'm not keeping anything from you!" I screamed back, barging past him and into the house, he followed closely.
"Bullsh-"
"It's none of your business, anyway!" I spat, a familiar fire rising in my chest.

I forgot how angry he made me.

"None of my business?! Are you stupid?!" Jackson fumed, grabbing  hold of my wrist and forcing me to look at him. We had stopped right in front of the staircase. If I wanted to I could just bolt to his room and lock him outside.
"I'm smarter than you'll ever be." I hissed, trying to free my hand.
He was hurt. He knows I know he's secretly insecure about his grades, he wants to be better, but I had to being it up.
"I hate it when you do this Mark! You act as if you're better than me!"
"Because I am! I'm not a jerk! I have a heart!" I cried, I could feel the atmosphere change drastically.
"Are you serious?!" Jackson spat through gritted teeth. Something he has never done before.
"You're so cold! I don't do anything to hurt you, but you're always-"
"Mark! You hurt me, you hurt me all the time! I hate the fact you hide everything from me, you've been acting so weird lately... and that hurts me!" He yelled, his familiar dark eyes piercing mine.
I've seen him this angry. This is the sort of anger he would show when... no. He wouldn't.

He wouldn't hit me again. He's grown up. He won't hurt me.

"Don't worry about it!" I cried, shoving him away from me as hard as possible, and he did. His hand was detached from my wrist.
"Why not?! I'm your boyfriend! I told you not to talk to them for a reason!" Jackson fumed, his face had gone red and his knuckles were white from clenching his fist too hard. "I was worried about you, but you don't even care!"
"You can't decide what I can and can't do, Jackson! I'm not your slave!" I screamed, taking him by surprise.

He had taken a step closer, beads of sweat had formed on his crown. He raised his hand, his eyebrows furrowed and jaw tight. I was wrong.

In a split second I jumped back in horror, letting out a submissive screech.
"I'm sorry! Don't hurt m-" I pleaded, but when I saw his hand in his hair. I know I had read the situation wrong.

Horribly wrong.

"Mark...you didn't... oh my- no." Jackson's eyes softened, his authoritave aura had disappeared. Tears started to form in his eyes. He lowered his hand from his hair, and with his other hand, wiped away the sweat. "I'd never hit you. I'm so sorry."

Jackson dropped to his knees beside me, pulling me into a hug. His face was in the crook of my neck, I heard him sob.

My mind was still trying to process what just happened, I was in a state of shock.
"Jackson, it's okay. I just-"
"I know I used to... and I wish I could take it back. I'm not that person anymore."

Lie.

Or is it?

We sat in comfortable silence... well, sort of. You could hear Jackson's sniffles a mile away, but I don't blame him.

"Mark?" Jackson sniffed, releasing me and looking at me dead in the eyes.
"Yes?" I asked, wiping the tears from his eyes.
"Are you cheating on me?"

Cheating. He thinks I'm cheating?!

"No! Why would you think that?!"