Chapter 89

MilkyWay/Crescent Nebula/Tasale/Illium/SSV Normandy SR-2

Earth year: 2186 CE ---February

Callie heard the low hum of conversation as she stepped out of the elevator and onto the crew deck. Steeling herself, she turned the corner of the hall and took in the strange sight before her.

The entire crew, minus the support staff, Mordin and Legion were crowding the room. Some were seated at the tables, while others were in small groups engaged in conversation.

Tali saw her first and sprang to her feet, rushing over to gather her into a welcoming hug. "Shepard!" She cried. "It's so good to see you up!"

"Thanks Tali." Callie said, returning the hug as the others gathered around them. Releasing her, Garrus stepped in to hug her as well, as did Thane and Kasumi. The others smiled warmly, clapped her on the back in greeting or shaking her hand, welcoming her return.

"So how are you feeling Shep?" Kasumi asked, as they all stepped back to give her space.

"I'm better." She said, maintaining her neutral mask. "Still tired, but happy to be up and out of my cabin."

"Here Siha." Thane offered, guiding her to a chair and handing her a steaming mug of coffee. "Join us."

"Thank you Thane." She said, smiling and taking a seat.

"Shepard." Garrus began, once again speaking for everyone gathered. He was seated across from her now, while the rest took chairs or stood crowded around the table. "We haven't had time to talk about what happened."

"No we haven't Garrus." Callie agreed, feeling herself tense.

"First off, we want to apologize. We thought Kasumi's tracking device would be enough, but we lost contact with your shuttle after you entered the asteroid field."

So that's why they hadn't come to her rescue. She'd thought as much, but hadn't been sure.

"You don't need to apologize Garrus." She protested. "I shouldn't have gone to that research base alone."

"So why did you then?" He demanded, clearly still annoyed with her.

"Honestly? It didn't occur to me not to. Hackett didn't tell me much about Kenson's research. All he said was that the research team had uncovered proof that the Reapers were coming."

"And you thought it was from a Prothean artifact?" Tali asked.

Callie looked away before answering. "No. Hackett told me Kenson's team had found a Reaper artifact."

"Dammit Shepard." Garrus cursed. "And you didn't think to tell us that before you left?"

"I didn't think it would be a problem Garrus." Callie argued. "Hackett didn't say anything about indoctrination or that the science team didn't know what they were doing. He spoke to Kenson regularly through vid-screens. If she was indoctrinated, he would have mentioned it."

"So what did happen Shepard?" Miranda asked, crossing her arms over her chest. "We couldn't hear anything after you left the shuttle."

Callie sighed. She'd thought EDI might have shared the report she'd written for Hackett, but it was apparent she'd left that decision to her. She had no desire to revisit those events, but her team deserved to know what had happened.

"They had a countdown clock displaying when the Reapers would arrive when I first left the shuttle. According to their calculations, I had less than three days before they reached the relay."

"Spirits."

"Keelah."

"Shit."

"Goddess."