Chapter 84

Milky Way/Viper Nebula/Bahak System/Aratoht

Earth year: 2186 CE --- January

Callie stopped in her tracks as she exited the elevator to the cargo bay. Her entire squad was gathered there, talking in small groups. As the door to the elevator closed, everyone turned to stare at her.

"Hey guys." She said, her visor clutched in her hands. "What's going on?"

"Shepard." Garrus greeted, breaking away from the others. "What in Spirit's name do you think you're doing?"

"Excuse me?"

"Yes Shepard." Tali echoed. "What are you doing?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." She lied, keeping her face neutral.

"Bullshit." Jack snorted. "You know exactly what we're talking about."

"I don't see how that's of any concern to any of you."

"Commander." Miranda began. "We stopped the Collectors and survived the Omega-4 relay together. I think we deserve to know what we're doing in batarian space."

Dammit, Callie cursed. She hadn't wanted to discuss this. Explaining it out loud would make it clear to anyone the Alliance was using her. She didn't like it, but she had nowhere else to go now that she'd left Cerberus. As much as the idea of going freelance might appeal given how the Alliance had treated her after her death, she had no desire to work outside the law again.

Crossing to a nearby crate that hadn't been damaged in the Normandy's crash, she sat down heavily. "We're here to rescue an Alliance scientist who was captured by the batarians three days ago." She said.

"Dammit Shepard." Garrus swore. "Have you lost your mind? You're going to a batarian prison without backup?"

Callie watched the others while Garrus berated her. It seemed they were content to let Garrus do all the talking for them. Well at least they were a team now, she thought wryly.

"It's a rescue mission Garrus." She retorted. "Hackett wants to avoid a diplomatic incident. We're not the Alliance."

"By the Goddess Shepard." Samara cursed. "You truly believe the batarians will care you're not currently with them? You have a long and very public history with the Alliance, surely you realize every batarian knows that."

"I'm aware Samara."

"Siha." Thane began, coming to stand before her. "We are not questioning your ability. We're merely concerned for your safety and your future."

"I know that Thane." She replied, her voice tight with emotion. "But I'm doing this for my future."

"By taking an unnecessary risk?" Garrus growled.

"Look, I know you all mean well, but you all have lives to return to. I don't. Right now, the Alliance believes I faked my death and went AWOL to join Cerberus. If I don't do this, I don't know where I can go. It's not like I can hide a ship this size."

"Maybe. Maybe not." Jacob interjected. "But you have to admit this is dangerous Shepard. Even for you."

"I know what I'm doing Jacob."

"Battle-master, you're being stupid." Grunt muttered. "Even I can smell a trap."

"I don't see the problem." Callie retorted. "I'm just rescuing one civilian. It's not like I'm going in there, guns blazing."

Everyone smirked or laughed out loud as the words left her mouth, but Garrus spoke for them all.

"That's not reassuring Shepard. Every mission you've ever been on involves gunfire."