Chapter 58

Milky Way/Kepler Verge/SSV Normandy SR-2

Earth Year 2185 CE -- September

In the Port Cargo hold on the Engineering Deck, she paused. She'd worked with a krogan before but this one was an unknown. Tank-bred and physically smaller than other krogan, she reminded herself that what had worked with Wrex might not work with Grunt.

"Shepard." Grunt grumbled as she entered the room. "See you got my message."

"I did. What's up Grunt?"

"I feel... well, I feel... grrrr." He was pacing as he spoke when he turned and smashed his head into the glass overlooking the cargo hold. "See? Why do that? I feel wrong... angry.. I just want to....aargh."

"Are you sick? Do you need a doctor? EDI, do you have anything in your databanks on this?"

"There is nothing Shepard. Krogan do not trust doctors, therefore they do not share information on their biology."

"Understandable, considering how it was used against them by the salarians and turians when they created the genophage."

"It's possible it is just a normal stage of krogan development." EDI suggested.

"Stop talking about me like I'm not here!" Grunt bellowed. "I'm not broken."

"Sorry Grunt. EDI, suggestions?"

"Tuchanka. If this is medical, we will have to consult the krogan. Since they are demilitarized we will have to go to them."

"Got it."

"Thank you Shepard." Grunt muttered. "I am krogan. I kill because that is who I am. Whatever this is, I don't want it. I fight because I am strong. I kill because it's what I'm good at."

"We'll get you answers Grunt." Callie promised. "Anything else you need?"

"No. I really have nothing else on my mind Shepard."

"Let me know if that changes. I can't have you destroying my ship."

"Fine Shepard. No more smashing glass with my head. Just... find me something to kill."

Callie smiled. "I'll do what I can. There's certainly no shortage of enemies."

"Hah. Everyone gets a turn. Good. I'm ready."

"Talk to you later Grunt."

"Shepard."

----xxx----

"Shepard. Got a minute?" Zaeed asked as she stepped inside the Starboard Cargo hold.

"Hello to you too Zaeed." Callie replied, leaning up against a nearby crate. "I thought you might want to talk about something else though."

"Like what?"

"Like this place you want to go to. Zorya was it?"

"Right, Zorya. Yeah that's where Vito is. He's the guy running the Blue Suns. Took over the mining facility there. Kidnapped the colonists on the planet and then put them to work for him."

"Sounds like a swell guy."

"Yeah he's so great, I'm gonna put a bullet in his head."

"Right." Callie drawled. "So is this about saving the workers or is it about revenge?"

"Don't judge me Shepard." Zaeed growled. "The Illusive Man promised we'd get this done."

"I'm in charge of this ship Massani, not the Illusive Man. We're not going anywhere on some personal revenge trip when we've got bigger enemies to fight."